Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

General under honorable conditions.....Effects?

Basically I am twenty years old..In the Navy...going to be 21 in two weeks...got caught underage drinking twice..(stupid choices). I have been on hold for 8 loooong months waiting for C school...Can get out with general under honorable conditions or submit a waiver.....If I finish my degree in Computer engineering and am looking for a career say 4 or 5 years down the road, is this really going to be frowned upon badly? I am not a bad kid. Have no criminal record, just used to the college life I guess? Thanks for any input.

Update:

Well I don't plan on reenlisting. And it has nothing to do with me not being able to handle the Navy. I simply don't feel the military is for me. I want to finish my college education and move on, but if this is going to put a severe damper on my future plans, I will stick out my next 4 1/2 years. And if your opinion is that I couldn't finish my degree because I got out early so be it.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Make sure I understand your question: Are you asking if 1.) Should you stay in. or 2.) should you take the general under honorable conditions, throw in the towel and quit?

If that is what you are asking, then by all means STAY IN! You will lose Veteran status and all that goes with it.

With a Honorable Discharge. You must completely meet the standards of conduct and performance expected of military members, your commander will characterize your service as "honorable" upon discharge. A person with an Honorable discharge is considered a veteran (if you have 24 months service) and is eligible for veterans benefits.

However, a General (Under Honorable Conditions) is a whole different matter. Something worth really thinking about. Despite the term "under honorable conditions," a "General" discharge is not on the same level as an "Honorable." It means the person screwed up, and got kicked out, but their conduct wasn't quite serious enough to warrant the most severe administrative discharge characterization, the UOTHC. You also lose ALL Veteran benefits and status. Now that may not seem like much, but when you are older, even if you don't need the benefits the status is worth it's weight in gold.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

definite GI reward (MGIB and placed up 9/11) oftentimes require an entire honorable discharge. even with the shown fact that, there's a area on the GI bill internet site that describes a situation the place an discharge different than totally honorable could desire to yield GI bill reward if it replaced into "related to a non-disabling actual or psychological situation that did no longer consequence from misconduct yet prevented the member from performing duties existed". Alcohol dependence could be seen one in all those situation?

• It will affect your future reenlistment and possibly jeopardized your GI Bill. For you college and civilian career, not too much unless you got Under Other Than Honorable, Bad Conduct or Dishonorable Discharges

Source(s): USMCR
  • 1 decade ago

304X0 Hit the nail on the head!

Taking the general under honorable conditions IS going to put a severe damper on your future plans. Stay in, get you act together and get out later with a honorable!

No matter what you may tell yourself - failure so early in life will only lead to more failure.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can get a "general under honorable" for just about anything, so no it shouldn't make any difference. About the only people who care would be government agencies anyway, and you should be good to go.

Having said that, get you drinking under control. The civilian world will just fire you if you say, miss work because your hung over, or come to work with alcohol on your breath.

• 1 decade ago

. My opinion of your chances of you graduating with a degree in computer engineering, based on your wanting to quit on the Navy when things get tough?! You'll never make it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.