Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Have we already lost?

With Fred Thompson and Duncan Hunter out of the race, there isn't a single conservative still running.

McCain is the current Republican front-runner but is at least as liberal as Hillary, and more liberal in some respects. He's right on the war and 90% ok on gun rights and pretty much wrong on everything else.

Huckabee's record is rock-solid on 2nd Amendment issues and pretty solid on Iraq, but iffy on border security and tax policy.

Romney appears quite well qualified fiscally and he's personable, but has weak ideology on national security and he's way wrong on gun rights.

They're all wrong on abortion since a real conservative would favor abandoning the issue federally and deferring to the states!

Will true conservatives be completely ignored and unrepresented by the next administration?

Truth; how would I be surprised, it's what I said myself. I'm aware, just not happy about it!

Adam; that's exactly what FDR said and it's been the liberal montra for over 70 years. Your opinion is myopic at best and wrong either way.

Conservatism isn't a movement, it's a protective position of those who understand and appreciate the vision and insights of the founders.

Dude; a true conservative understands the spirit and purpose of the 10th amendment. You're correct that Roe v. Wade is bad law, but deferring to the states isn't passing the buck, it's respecting state's rights!

Obama; if catching up means sitting quitly watching poorly-educated, spoiled rotten crybabies wipe their soft little hinies on all that made America great, no thank you.

Grumpy; I don't know where you get your information. With the exception of the 1980's, Conservatism hasn't even been tried since the 1930's.

Kirk; excuse the hell out of me for disagreeing with Hannity and whoever.

Here's a link to all the nice sounding things Romney's said. There's not a commitment in 28 statements.

http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Mitt_Romney_War_+_...

Here's another link to his 2nd amendment quotes. Can you say he's a gun rights advocate?

http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Mitt_Romney_Gun_Co...

Favorite Answer

Sadly, I must agree with you. As a conservative American I am disappointed by the current batch of so-called 'conservative' Republican candidates. What really bothers me is the media. I am tired of being told what to think and who to support. Its so obvious that the media is pushing McCain, that I can hardly watch any television or read any papers without want to poke my eyes out. Any one who criticises McCain for being to liberal is ridiculed and cast as some radically right-winger. The media refuses to admit that McCain is NOT a conservative.

I was actually laughing the other day because...(I live in Florida) They played a McCain commercial and at the end they blacked out the screen and in big bold white letters they wrote "the true conservative".

I mean are you kidding me!?

Back to the media, they keep showing graphics and polls and arguing that McCain is the most electable candidate....But what good does that do if McCain doesn't represent the electorate. He tries to play both sides of the fence and then criticize Romney on his "flip-flops".

Futher Ranting to be posted later!

EDIT:

So as I was saying, you cannot go from one position on illegal immigration to another in just a matter of weeks/months. If McCain expects conservatives to forget his amnesty bill, "Campaign Finance reform" (McCain Fiengold), his oposition to the Bush tax cuts and many other things...he is saddly mistaken. His explanation for voting against the tax cuts and now supporting them kind of reminds me of Hilary's "I was against it before I was for it" ..or whatever orwellian propaganda she spewed.....(can't rememebr the exact wording)

I am worried about McCain. The republican party has not been this fragmented since the before the Reagan era. There hasn't been one group Mccain hasn't pisssed off. (Fiscal cons.-anti bush tax cuts, defense cons-antiwaterboarding, social cons- anti-Christian right.) If McCain gets the nod you will have people so disenchanted that they might stay home or even vote third party. Staying home like some of the talk radio hosts have addvocated is akin to handing the white house to the dems. on a silver platter. While I am no fan of McCain (to put it lightly), I think that either the party nominates a true conservative or we will be forced to back McCain...Its that or 4-8 years of a Neo-Carter (Clinton or Obama) era.

I am not sure if this country can handle another blow like that.

So to answer your question...I don't think McCain will be able to win the gen. election if he gets the nomination. I don't think real conservatives will be able to support him. As a result I have the sinking feeling that the next administration will be the farthest thing from conservative. If we continue on our current path the Dems will win and conservatism will suffer a huge blow, and the country will suffer. Either way I am not optomistic about the elections, Clinton, Obama, and McCain seem to be equally wrong on all of the important issues.

BTW, isn't it sad how, the media rejects the real conservatives. Duncan Hunter got about 2 minutes of media time. I think the only outlet he got any attention on was the Glenn Beck show. The only reason fred Thompson got ANY attention was because he was already popular as an actor.

It is a shame that we have no candidate to represent the true conservatives of this great nation.

I Just read that Coulter said she'd rather vote Clinton than Mccain.

LORD HELP US!

I think I might just swim back to Cuba if Clinton ever got elected.

Oh and a STAR for you...great question!

• Dude

Quite frankly, neither McCain nor Romney can shine Bush's shoes. What they have going for them is that they both would be a better president than Hillary or Obama. As a Conservative, I will vote for McCain in this election, but there better be more conservative candidates to choose from in the next election!!

You are totally wrong on the abortion issue by the way. Putting the issue to the states is passing the buck. A real Conservative would stand on his or her principles on the issue and fight to overturn Roe.

No! We won't lose if we elect Mitt Romney as our presidential candidate. Romney is by far the most conservative of all the candidates, and the most like Reagan. He is the only one that could beat either Obama or Hillary in the 2008 presidential election. He is anything but weak on national security. If you watched the latest debate at the Reagan Libraries that aired on CNN you should know this. In order to have a strong military, we need to have a strong economy. Laura Ingrahm, Sean Hannity, and Rick Santorum have all endorsed Romney. Rick Santorum was voted the most conservative out of all the senators a while back. If all of these indisputably ultra conservatives wouldn't like Romney if he wasn't an ultra conservative himself. For the good of out party, America, and the rest of the world, we must elect Mitt Romney as our next President.

You think that's Bad? Illegal Aleins are set to Recieve Your Tax Rebates They all want Cheap Labor and will sell all Americans out and take away Your rights. There needs to be Another Boston Tea Party and Try some of Them for Treason!

Source(s): Web Searches: alipac.com Numbersusa.com (For Their Voting Records) blessedcause.org Immigration'shumancost.com News Watch Magazine Dec 2006 Edition The Ten Planks of Communism

The fact is, it is the Republican Primaries you are talking about. Not the Conservative Primaries. There are moderate Republicans and it may surprise you that there are even Liberal Republicans.

• archy

Your statement about abortion couldn't be any truer. But yeah when Paul throws in the towel its pretty much lost since Thompson gave up as well.

Source(s): Adam you could always go to England, if you don't want conservatism or if thats too far you can learn spanish and go live in Venezuela or Cuba, I heard they are a lot more Liberal then us. Canada is also slightly more Liberal and stable, something about the Constitution and the Free Enterprise system disturb you? Because there are other options for you, noone is keeping you from going elsewhere here, don't be surprised if you don't like what you see in Socialist nations.

"Will true conservatives be completely ignored and unrepresented by the next administration?"

I certainly hope so. Conservatism is a useless social movement. We've been burdened by people calling themselves conservatives for years and all it's done is damage our country. Time for the new lot to come in and have a try.

That is why you, and all the other true conservatives, must vote for a third party candidate.

Somewhere, Nelson Rockefeller and Barry Goldwater are smiling.

If so, true conservatives have only themselves to blame since they voted in their candidates.