will tumble drying a dry, cotton shirt shrink it?

I have a very specific style of button down shirts that I like to wear, which cannot be too long, nor too short. Therefore, I need to wash them only, then proceed to hang them up. However, they become very wrinkled, and therefore I need to either iron them, or tumble dry them. Question is, will tumble drying a dry button down, cotton oxford shirt shrink the shirt at all? Keep in mind the shirts are completely dry, obviously if they were wet they would surely shrink. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

No, a little heat may even diminish some of the wrinkles. Do u wash in cold water? That also will prevent so many wrinkles. The only other choice I see is the cleaners or iron. Good luck.

• seibel

Can You Tumble Dry Shirts

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I have a very specific style of button down shirts that I like to wear, which cannot be too long, nor too short. Therefore, I need to wash them only, then proceed to hang them up. However, they become very wrinkled, and therefore I need to either iron them, or tumble dry them. Question is, will...

Source(s): tumble drying dry cotton shirt shrink it: https://tr.im/kyg3R
  • Honey

I wash and tumble dry my man's oxford cotton shirts all the time -- just don't do it at a laundromat because those dryers are way too hot. But if you have a fairly high end home dryer with cooler heat settings you'll be fine. Set an alarm though so you can get them out of the dryer as soon as the cycle is finished. Grab each shirt by the shoulders and give it a hard shake - sort of a snap - and hang it on a hanger. If any wrinkles remain after an hour or so, set your steam iron on high and leaving the shirt on the hanger, steam the shirt while you pull down firmly on the bottom hem. The wrinkles will disappear like magic. - Much easier than ironing.

Good luck.

Honey

It shouldnt, but use the lowest heat setting. And keep a close eye on them. Good luck :)

They may shrink because of the heat.

• ramzee

no, I do it all the time.

Be Blessed!