promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

The automakers?

Do the Automakers purposely make their cars difficult to service?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes their engineers are asked to design new complicated technology so the ordinary backyard tech.will not have the know how or the tools to repair.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Being a tech for over 30 years, it almost seems like it. but believe it or not, the cars are made with a minimum of wasted space under hood, under dash, everywhere but in the passenger compartment itself. the various engineers literally fight for cubic centimeters to get the parts they need for their systems in place, and that's why there are so many different types of the same part even within a given manufacturer.

Information to repair them is indeed considered legal property of the makers, and even with the gov't forcing them to standardize the test equipment needed, they withhold all they can for as long as they can!

Source(s): ASE Mastertech
  • 1 decade ago

Sometimes they do - for instance, the recent trend to remove the dipsticks so that you can't check the oil. That certainly aimed at making service cost more.

• 1 decade ago

Imports do. They dont want anybody but them to touch the cars. Try gettin schematics for a BMW!

Source(s): mechanic.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I used to think so, but not anymore.

Rusky up there has it right. To make cars lighter to meet cafe standards, they have to make them smaller. Smaller means more stuff has to be stuffed in smaller areas.

That's why I don't own anything newer than my '66.

• 1 decade ago

sure they do, that way you have to take them to the shop to be repaired.

• 1 decade ago

yes!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.