Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 1 decade ago

Do you trust the FDA?

Update:

If someone dies from an herb it will get national attention! It will be all over TV and everything. It someone dies from a drug its: hush hush!!

Update 2:

Actually I have never known of herbs killing anybody! But the colloidial Silver that made the news in recent time? The guy took it and he turned blue. They failed to mention that you are more likely to get struck by lightining than to turn blue from Colloidial Silver.

Update 3:

The only risk I see from herbs is allergies or anaphylactic shock which is a severe allergic reaction that can be fatal! But if your not allergic to them they are harmless.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The FDA sadly has mostly been an agent of the commercial interest for a long time.

In many schools of thought, it is considered to have lost its integrity or value as an agency when Regan fired the current director and replaced him with one who would approve aspartame on behest of Donal Rumsfeld.

Nowadays, they just accept cherry picked studies industries provide and go after after alternative health practitioners who challenge those industry interests.

Hopefully we don't ratify the WHO thing which will give them the authoriy to go after supplements.

• Angie
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Not one d*** bit. They were the ones that approved things that were later recalled!! They can also pass things right through and avoid human trials if there is a perceived "immediate need" for the product. I never use anything that hasn't been around for at least 10 years. I'm not going to be the one to die a freak death from an untested food or drug.

• 1 decade ago

The problem is that the alternatives people do not study enough to use them wisely. They think they can just take it with no side effects. Ephedra had no warnings on it and people took it like candy. They didn't connect their heart racing with taking Ephedra on a daily basis. The alternative meds should have warnings on them like do not take with blood pressure meds, if pregnant, etc.....

The drugs people insist are okay and when you point out that a certain drug killed 5,000 people and another one killed 538 they say but look at all the good it has done for the millions.

Basically it is called biased double standards.

• 1 decade ago

Although the FDA is badly underfunded---it operates for the benefit of the drug companies and medical associations. As of now it is one holy mess. We will never know how much damage the lack of their doing the job correctly has hurt the health of the american people, not to mention the fatalities.

• Judy B
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

What has the question got to do with Aternative medicine?

The FDA does not regulate most herbs and supplements.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Mostly. They are better at rejecting potential good drugs than at accepting bad ones. But it is certainly preferable to rely on the FDA than on unproven and undocumented claims from herbalists and other purveyors of "alternative medicine" nostrums.

• 1 decade ago

Who is the FDA and Who runs it. Drug companies. There is no way to patent natural remedies so there is no money in it.

Check out what there main goal is. what there rules are. and who is in charge. Then ask if you trust them. Like everything else the idea was good but money tends to get in the way.

• 1 decade ago

exactly! thats why I don't trust them! they have one motive and that is to make money and more of it! nature is always better than man....at least the motives of people who promote herbs is not money because herbs can't be pantend...you can't make a company on something that nature supplies! thats why the drug companies don't want you to do any natrual remidies...it takes money away from them! Ha

• 1 decade ago

I definitely don't trust them. I don't trust a lot of things such as the Dept of Agriculture who let farmers slaughter poor animals in those terrible conditions and act like they are monitoring them!

• 1 decade ago

NO!! I do not trust them

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.