What is your favorite teaching strategy?

What are the core teaching strategies you like to use in the classroom? Or if you are a student, which teaching strategies do you prefer your teacher to use?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

i like active learning in which instructor allow students to talk and listen, read, write, and reflect as they approach course content through problem-solving exercises, informal small groups, simulations, case studies, role playing, and other activities -- all of which require students to apply what they are learning

• 4 years ago

My favorite strategy board game is Armis. There are many reasons why I like Armis best, but it's important to acknowledge some games that have paved to way to Armis. I started with checkers, and chess, then played games like Stratego and Risk, also played non strategy games in strategic ways like Monopoly, it wasn't until I play warri (mancala) that I realized that the rules of the game wasn't the end all, ceiling, or fence, instead was the 'don't touch tree', so instead of being guided by what not to do I focused on what I could do then suddenly all of the same games became much more fun, now I could experience "wow factor" moves, and get into "you-can't-do-that" arguments just because certain tactics were not previously seen Armis plays like Chess, Checkers, Risk and Stratego all at the same time, it's designed to be a FAST thinkers game, not a slow thinkers game. There is so much complexity built into the game it take a while for most people to learn the game -- steep learning curve. There are literally about 2.5 million ways to properly setup, the game board is asymmetric so even though the opposing teams set up exactly the same (not mirror), the Easter sea is a major consideration for setup acceptance. The game has three basic spaces -- land, air, and sea. The sea spaces are coastal and deep. The Coast Guard, Aircraft Carrier and Submarine must be towed by the Mover from land to coastal waters, from there they move on their own, the bigger ships to deep waters. The AC can accept the Jet and Helicopter as individual passengers. Pieces have different duties, powers, and movement abilities for example the Army could only move 2 spaces at a time and is unable to capture the Diplomat, the Diplomat is able to move 3 spaces but could only capture the Nuke, the Nuke could only travel 1 space at a time but could theoritically capture about 20 pieces in a single action. If the President is assassinated the VP becomes Pres where he stands, which essentially extends the previous reach of the VP which is often incorporated into some really cool tactics. The game goes fast because there are so many options, the more experienced players learn to use their non-offensive pieces as effectively as their offensive pieces, for example if the Jet is about to capture a Marine, you could place your Media at the proposed landing area to prevent the move from taking place. Only two pieces (child and marines) can climb, one can dive (sub) 2 can fly (heli and jet) most can zig zag but all can go straight -- well the Reserve is the only piece that must remain standing at attention until all of his friendly military has made an initial move or no longer in play, this is mainly because he acts as an automatic shield for the Flag as long as they are next to each other. (only exception is Nuke. There's even some moral consequences built into it, if you activate your Nuke you lose your own Diplomat, and if you take your opponent's Child you lose your Diplomat and Religion one of which could be protecting a more valued piece. I can't wait for the 4 person game to come out. I put a link to the strategy missions page so you can see the pieces in purposeful action.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As a Science teacher, I really like the Socratic method, and it includes HANDS ON student involvement, which there can never be enough for the students it seems. They (students) really like/need/enjoy doing experiments especially when they use instruments to measure, and fill up balloons, and go outside.....and watch things move and grow....it is amazing how science can really come alive and enthusiasm grows when they get involved. It is fun as a teacher to watch the thought process especially when the students start doing great little "side" experiments and challenging each other on higher learning levels.

• 1 decade ago

I like to involve students as much as possible in the learning AND teaching. Last semester I recorded students demonstrating breaking rules and following rules and then compiled the clips into a video using iMovie so that when my next semester of students came on the first day, I had something more interesting to show them instead of my boring self telling the rules and consequences. It got to be humorous, too, because I had some funny kids, so that helped.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Student,

I like when the teacher lets us work in groups or just doesn't stand up there telling us about it, it's fun when we get to do stuff about it. Be strict on the first day and be nice every other day unless neccessary emitting the mean side. (good "cop" bad "cop") It's pretty awesome when a teacher can be totally cool with you but once you screw up they know how to handle the situation. That always works. I've never been in a class that has had a problem with that method.

• 1 decade ago

Well, I'm one of those "visual learners" so I would like notes on the topic. Truly, a teacher talking to me about a topic just goes through one ear and out another. I need to write down what he/she says to be able to understand it. It's the strangest thing, but I seriously can't even comprehend what they're talking about. I just need to see it on paper. I suggest you try to do teaching methods for all types of learners. You could do speeches and then pass out notes of your speeches. It would seriously help learners like me. I also like class discussion, especially in small classes. I love to find that my ideas on a subject are similar to someone else's! Good luck with teaching.

• 1 decade ago

I prefer storytelling - all the greatest and best teachers were good storytellers - plus it puts the subject into context - and for some strange reason - it's easier to remember a story.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well im a student and I also help co teach. Try to find a way the project could relate to them.

• 1 decade ago

i like group work beczuse it allows students to work together as a team to get the job done

• 1 decade ago

To make it out the door by 5pm. (I start at 6:30 a.m.)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.