Is the United States Marine Corps totally different to the British Royal Marines in role and structure?

If so, how? I know the US military is a lot bigger than the UK, but I seem to hear a lot from USMC veterans, even moreso than the US Army (which I would have thought to have been bigger?). Is it perhaps less elite than the British Royal Marines (please no offence intended, I am a civilian and just... show more If so, how? I know the US military is a lot bigger than the UK, but I seem to hear a lot from USMC veterans, even moreso than the US Army (which I would have thought to have been bigger?). Is it perhaps less elite than the British Royal Marines (please no offence intended, I am a civilian and just curious)?

Please only answer with reasoned arguments rather than 'my country is better than yours,' bullsh*t.

Thanks!