Anonymous

why do white people act like black people invented the one drop rule?

white people came up with the novel idea that if you have one drop of black blood then you are all black. Now white people are the ones complaining about it. They even have the nerve to call black people racist for adopting the rule (even though it only demonstrates how much more inclusive black people are).

Why do white people all of a sudden find the one drop rule so offensive?

This example was on the board just a few minutes ago, but it gets asked all the time. White people are angry because Obama is considered Black.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AkOkt...

itme23 - I dont have to say "some" white people. Its a waste of keystrokes. Im not generalizing. If the shoe doesn't fit. Dont wear it.

itsme23 - it would not be reasonable for me to assume you are asking about ALL black people. I could answer each of those question without getting offended.

• 2D
    Best Answer

Who cares who invented the one drop rule? I have a black ancestor, so technically I could claim the one drop rule. I don't because most of my heritage is white, so therefore I am white. I feel no guilt or shame. There are a lot of racist posts on here against whites. All racism is wrong. Lets quit looking into the past to hang on to racism and look forward. Obama is what he is. He's American. His heritage has nothing to do with his qualifications as a presidential candidate and his heritage shouldn't even be a topic. If we keep focusing on a person's racial background we'll keep perpetuating racist attitudes. 2D

My sister married a white dude and we all love him, he's one of the family, so we not all like that. I honestly don't care as long as the black woman I see a white dude with ain't my wife, lol. There's a lot of self-segregation in the black community and an intolerance to outsiders. It's stupid, but to a lot of black men, a black man with a white woman is viewed as a sort of justice: something he's taken from "the man", while a white guy with a black woman is seen as a hostile intrusion into the black community. Sorry to say, but the black community struggles with progress too. The idea of "color-blindness" is something many black people expect of other races, but feel no obligation to live up to themselves.

It's ignorance, pure and simple.

I've never agreed with the one drop rule. 1/2, 1/4, maybe 1/8, well, OK. But come on now, at 1/16th, it is pretty absurd. There is no reason to deny it, but someone who is 1/16 black is a person who happens to have some black blood in their family line. Period.

I think that's it's right if you have black blood, then you black. This is for the basic reason that black genes are stronger. Most people who are mixed look black, more than do white. Imagine if Halle Berry said she was white. You can't be white if you not white, but you can be black if you are light or dark, we come in all different colours. We not so exclusive like white people are.

My husband and myself had this exact conversation. When we were all poor with little hope, the one drop rule was strictly enforced. Now that we have progressed all of a sudden the one drop rule does not apply. I just think that it is indicative of something that nobody wants to face. Namely, when we progress and do well then in some way that seems to be taken away in some form or fashion. If we do not do well, then it is said that we must do better.Just sad.

I understand the question and to the guy who answered the question before this one... I personally think whiteness is strong enough to count. Just because mixed people are tan I still recognize the white in them because I have true White pride. Unless we realize this and start bringing these mixed people into the white race we will eventually become extinct. If you mate a mixed person with a white person it makes a white child. That's how we will increase our numbers and not become extinct! I personally want to see the White race succeed. But it won't if we keep throwing the mixed people away instead of bringing them back. The world is changing we have to readjust our thinking so we can have a White race in 2108!

40% of White Americans have black/African in them. Go do a DNA test. A white man did it on tv found out he had 10% white he looks completely white by the way straight black hair blue eyes even looked like a normal white geek not calling white people geeks btw.

I'm not sure about the "one drop rule" but I know that the 1/64 clause was written into some state laws (which were clearly written by white men). Stupid small minded people who lack confidence are usually have "race relations" issues. My experience is that people who make complaints about race make complaints about all people outside their immediate circle (and sometimes within it too). I do find the 1/64 clause or the one drop rule stupid and offensive because it implies biological differences that just aren't there. Too bad society can't follow the lead of biology.

THIS IS STRICTLY FOR THE ONES WHO BELIEVE WHAT YOU ARE ASKING:because they hate the fact that anyone who is part black in anyway does not want to be white. they felt historically that, that was a way of punishing the parents who mixed races and the mixed race child. they felt that the mixed couple and mixed children should feel shame for being mixed and/or in a mixed relationship. but now it is "in vogue" to be mixed they feel that they want to take the stigma away from being mixed, now they want mixed children (and not really ALL mixed children, just the ones who look close to white or have achieved some academic, social, political status or fame for doing something positive such as Halle Berry, or Barack Obama) to state every race/ethnicity that they are, so that they themselves can claim that which they wanted to reject not so long ago. Now all of a sudden if someone who is the product of a mixed relationship (black and non-black parent) should say that they are "mixed" and they want to call that person racist if that person says they are just black. They want to say that, they are rejecting thier heritage, not realizing or wanting to admit that any person who is a decendent of the African Diaspora (slavery) is mixed no matter HOW dark thier skin is, but somehow it's "different" if they are half black which is bullshiz. Or they wanna say that you are whatever your mother is or whatever your father is. I am a black woman in an interracial relationship and my man (who is white) have decided TOGETHER that when/if we have children we will raise them as black children.

• Nyara

I'm white, and I feel absolutelty no guilt for what happened in the past. I didn't do it, and I'm certainly not doing it to anyone in this day and age. In fact, the thought that 'black people invented the one drop rule' never even crossed my mind. The sooner people abandon ethnic grouping, the better off we'll be.