I have very old computer with Windows 98 SE.Hard disk20 GB which is almost full.How can i increase disc space?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no way to increase the space of a hard drive. You can free up some of the spcae by removing any programs or games you can live without, and moving some on your music, pictures, etc, off the drive and on to a Cd or DVD.

But the only way to increase the size on the hard drive would be to replace it with a new. larger drive.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You will need a IDE aka Parallel ATA HDD. Serial ATA's were not invented until 2003 i think so it would not fit on your computer. Go to your computer shop and explain to them your situation. Ask for an IDE drive. Just make sure you have a spare IDE port on your motherboard. Otherwise you will need to get an external HDD using usb/ethernet/firewire.

Edit: Do not buy a HDD with more than 200GB of space, you will need Windows XP Sp2+ to see more than 200GB (or thereabouts)

• 1 decade ago

Few questions, first of all, u need to tell us, what is processor and motherboard specification? If you think both are old to handle the large hard disk, it is good idea to sell it and buy another computer and with better specs rather than putting new hard disk in a donkey cart. It depends upon money you have or how much u can afford?

• 1 decade ago

As long as you have a USB port,buy an external hard-drive in a caddy and use that for all new storage.Make sure it's 98 compatable though.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Don't do any compression. I'd suggest getting a second hard drive. You could use Norton Ghost for DOS to image your current small drive onto your new big drive and continue on.

Deleting files and uninstalling programs you don't use anymore are your obvious choices.

• 1 decade ago

you are going to need to replace the hard drive to gain more space. OR get rid of programs you do not use.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you can compress the drive(its built in ,look in control panel)but that will slow the machine.You can empty your recycle bin,delete your temp file's,clean out your cache.The best thing would be to add a new drive(look on craigslist or e-bay for a used one)and add it as a slave

• you cant with the new memory and requirements for your comp. the lowest it may accept is windows 2000. you can still buy old memory but you have to go to a somp. shop of ebay. just buy another comp. it has like 20x more mem and its quicker

• 1 decade ago

I guess you could get an external hard drive.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

simply buy a new hard drive or delete any files you dont need

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.