Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicCelebrities · 1 decade ago

What can you tell me about Richard Carpenter and anyother Carpenters besides Karen?

I need to know about Richard currently. e.g. Where does he live? Does he still record music?

Are there anyother famous Carpenters besides him and Karen?

Thank you very, very, very much. I am on a slow internet connection and need the info ASAP so anything at all that you could tellme would be very helpful! Thanks!

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Richard Carpenter is the name of:

* Richard Carpenter (musician) (born 1946), American musician and composer, formerly one half of the Carpenters

http://www.richardandkarencarpenter.com/Album_Pian...

15 October 1946, New Haven, Connecticut, USA

Birth Name

Richard Lynn Carpenter

Nickname

R.C.

Height

6' (1.83 m)

Mini Biography

Richard Carpenter, who was best known as 1/2 of "The Carpenters". His sister, Karen had a voice of the heart by performing big hits such as "Close To You", "Rainy Days on Mondays", "We've Only Just Begun", and other megahits. Their dominance, ran out of steam in late 1976 due to poor record sales. Karen, was struggling with her weight for years, until she succumbed to heart failure on 4 February 1983. Richard still performing in other projects.

IMDb Mini Biography By:

Spouse

Mary Carpenter (19 May 1984 - present) 5 children

Trivia

Was one-half of one of the most successful pop/rock duos of the 1970s, The Carpenters, with his sister Karen Carpenter.

His first three daughters were born on: Kristi Lynn Carpenter (b. August 17, 1987) - Traci Tatum Carpenter (July 25, 1989) - Mindi Karen (July 7, 1992)

Released a solo album in 1997 - Richard Carpenter: A Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor.

In April 1998, the RIAA certified a number of Carpenters albums gold (Voice of the Heart and An Old Fashioned Christmas), platinum (Christmas Portrait (1978) and Horizon (1975)) and multi-platinum (Close To You (1970), Now and Then (1973) and Yesterday Once More (1973) - all at two million). Furthermore, it was certified that A Song For You (1972) had sold three million copies, The Carpenters (1971) had sold four million copies, and The Singles 1969-1973 (1973) sold seven million copies.

In 1998, when he was 52 years old, his wife gave birth to a son, Collin.

Regretted being a a part of The Karen Carpenter Story (1989) (TV).

Started his own band in the mid 60s called "The Dick Carpenter Trio" along with his sister Karen Carpenter.

Is angry about how his sister Karen Carpenter's anorexia was medically handled.

Loves to play piano.

Met his future wife in 1975, and finally married her in 1984.

His wife had their first child when he was 40.

on February 22, 1983 Richard received a letter of sympathy from Richard Nixon after his sister Karen Carpenter's death.

Wrote songs with John Bettis for the Carpenters.

Had a British father.

His five children are: Kristy Lynn, Tracy Tatum, Mindi Karen, Collin Paul and Taylor Mary.

Helped open the Richard & Karen Carpenter Performing Arts Center in Long Beach, California, where he occasionally performs.

Wears contact lenses.

Went to college at California State University Long Beach in southern California

Dedicated his 2nd solo album to his mother.

Still writes and produces music at A&M Records.

Became a multi-millionaire in his early 20's.

The Carpenters are the best-selling and most successful foreign artists in Japan. Their record sales have passed those of Michael Jackson and the Eagles.

After his sister's death, he has made two unsuccessful solo albums, and has produced new 'greatest hits' compilations of Carpenters music. The songs on the new compilations are usually remixed.

Had lived in Downey, California for the majority of his life. During 2000 he moved his family from Downey and now lives in Thousand Oaks, California

His mother is Agnes Carpenter, and his father is Harold Carpenter.

His red 1972 Ferrari's driver license plate was "SONG 4U"

He is on the honorary board of ANAD (National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders)

Was born in the same year and town as President George W. Bush

Some of his musical inspiration is: Burt Bacharach, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Les Paul, Mary Ford, Spike Jones, Perry Como

Has loved automobiles all his life, and started a great collection of rare cars from the 50s and 60s. His warehouse "Yesterday Once More" keeps models of these cars.

Participates in the Celebrity Ambassador Program for "Alliance For The Arts", a Thousand Oaks fund-raising group for the arts

In 2003, he donated a Yamaha concert grand piano to the "Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza"

In 2004 he donated $3 million to the "Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza". In recognition of the gift, a 3.1 acre park located in front of the "Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza" facing Thousand Oaks Boulevard will be named "Mary and Richard Carpenter Plaza Park." $2 million dollars of the donation will support the general program at T.O.C.A.P., and the remaining $1 million dollars will be used to establish the "Richard Carpenter Scholarship Program".

Richard's $3 million pledge to the non-profit organization, "Alliance For The Arts", was the largest individual gift ever received by the "Alliance For The Arts" and the largest in Ventura County for the arts

In Thousand Oaks, California, Richard and Mary are recognized as "Distinguished Grand Patrons of the Arts", for their contribution to the arts

Regrets making the song "Mr. Guder"

He was managed by Sherwin Bash from 1970 - 1975

He was managed by Terry Ellis from 1975 - 1976

He was managed by Jerry Weintraub from 1976 - 1983

Personal Quotes

The "Carpenters" didn't just hit, they exploded.

Even though I was calling people saying "She doesn't look well", I still didn't think she'd actually pass away.

Where Are They Now

(February 2004) Has just released another Carpenter's album, entitled "Carpenters Gold: 35th Anniversary Edition".

(April 2004) Produced the 13th studio album of Carpenters music entitled "As Time Goes By", which was actually made in 2001, but was finally released in the USA during April 2004.

(February 2005) His cover of "Top of the World" can be heard on Aquafina commercials.

(May 2004) Started his own official website. Richard Carpenter news, biography, and pictures are available and he is graciously answering fan's questions and e-mails through the website.

(January 2005) the album "Singles 1969-1981" was produced for SACD by Richard Carpenter and released on January 11, 2005

Despite all their chart successes, however, the Carpenters were no run-of-the-mill hit-parade artists. They actually heralded the start of a whole new era in popular music, and their legacy is still very much in evidence today.

Previously, adult record buyers had been served by sophisticated night-club singers like Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett and by arranger/conductors like Ray Conniff and Percy Faith. But among the new generation of young adults were some who had different tastes. Although they had been brought up during the rock and pop explosion of the 60s, they too wanted more ‘adult’ music. But they weren’t prepared to settle for what their parents had been offered. These were from among the ‘baby boomers’, whose sheer numbers gave them considerable commercial clout. They wanted music of their own – and what they wanted was a more contemporary kind of ‘pop’. The Carpenters were among the first to provide it – both in their recordings and in live performances.

By 1971, the Carpenters were performing all over the world. In London, they packed the Royal Albert Hall during their first European tour. In America, there were sell-out appearances at such prestigious venues as the Hollywood Bowl, and in Japan they performed the first of what would be many sell-out concerts.

Karen Carpenter singing and drumming 1973The first half of 1972 saw two more American chart successes with songs arranged by Richard but written by others. Hurting Each Other had originally been recorded by Ruby and the Romantics and It’s Going To Take Some Time had been written by Carole King and Toni Stern. Both songs took the Carpenters into the American Top 20, reaching No.2 and No.12 respectively.

It was to be some months before their next British hit single, however, with that honor reserved for Goodbye To Love, written by Richard and Bettis. With the help of a splendid Richard Carpenter arrangement, Karen’s faultless reading and Tony Peluso’s towering guitar solo, it first climbed rapidly up the American charts, reaching No.7 at its peak. Goodbye To Love was then released on a double-sided single in Britain, together with I Won’t Last A Day Without You, another Paul Williams and Roger Nichols song. The single reached No.9 on the British chart.

The preceding four singles were all culled from the duo’s fourth album, “A Song For You”, considered by many, including Karen and Richard, to be their finest. Included as well were Top Of The World and Bless The Beasts And Children, from the Stanley Kramer film of almost the same name, “Bless The Beasts And The Children”. This track, one of Karen’s and Richard’s best, was released in the U.S. on the flip of Superstar, and got quite a bit of play in its own right. All told, “A Song For You” contained an impressive six hits, as well as standout tracks such as Flat Baroque, Piano Picker, and the title song.

Yet the group still remained more popular in America than with British audiences. In early 1973 there was to be another American hit, the million-selling Sing, before renewed British success with another Carpenter-Bettis composition.

Yesterday Once More finally gave the Carpenters’ British career the boost it needed. In mid-1973, the song raced up the British charts, peaking at No.2 – the same position that it reached in America, and higher than that reached by all of the Carpenters’ previous British singles. It would also provide them with yet another million-seller and prove to be a phenomenal success in Japan.

The song looked at the craze for musical nostalgia that was prevalent in America at the time. It had been taken from the Carpenters’ equally successful album, ‘Now And Then’, which incorporated a highly unusual idea. The whole of one side was made up of eight classic 60s pop songs presented as a ‘radio show’ skillfully arranged and produced by Richard, with Tony Peluso guesting as a disc jockey.

Another Carpenter-Bettis composition, Top Of The World, shot right to the top of the American charts – and to No.5 in Britain – to give them their third million-seller of 1973.

There was a hugely successful album as well – a splendid compilation of ‘The Singles 1969-1973’. Nine of the 12 tracks had already sold over a million copies when released as singles. Yet the album still topped both the American and British album charts, eventually selling over two million in the UK and clocking up over 12 million sales in America.

Richard Carpenter, Karen Carpenter, with President Richard Nixon, First Lady Pat Nixon, West German Chancellor Willy Brandt, in the East Room, White House, following their performance on May 1, 1973On May 1, 1973, there was an accolade of a different kind. President Richard Nixon invited the brother and sister to perform at the White House, at a dinner in honor of West German Chancellor Willy Brandt.

There was a change of direction for one 1974 release, with a version of Hank Williams’ country favorite Jambalaya featured in ‘Now And Then’. Backed with Mr. Guder, which appeared on their 1970 ‘Close To You’ album, it gave the Carpenters a double-sided British hit, reaching No.12 in March 1974. Jambalaya also became a gold record in Japan and in the Netherlands proved itself to be Karen and Richard’s biggest hit. As John Fogerty and the Blue Ridge Rangers were enjoying some success with the song in 1973, the same time as “Now & Then’s” release, and Yesterday Once More was just following Sing, Richard did not even think about releasing Jambalaya in America. Based on their record’s success in other countries, “Maybe,” Richard now states, “I should have!”

The next year began well, too, with another change of pace and another enormously successful single. Please Mr. Postman had been an American chart topper for R&B group the Marvelettes in 1961, and well known in Britain, too, thanks to the Beatles. The Carpenters again took it to the top spot in America, easily selling another million on the way. The recording reached No.2 in the UK charts, and ultimately became their largest selling single worldwide, a fact with which Richard has mixed feelings.

Only Yesterday (by Carpenter and Bettis again) was another success on both sides of the Atlantic and there was yet another million-seller album, ‘Horizon’. In addition to the singles successes, Please Mr. Postman and Only Yesterday, the album included Love Me For What I Am, I Can Dream, Can’t I and Desperado. This time they proved even more popular in Britain than in the US with ‘Horizon’ making its debut at the top of the album chart, and staying among the best sellers for nearly six months in all.

• MEDIA SUX6 years agoReport

My girlfriend in the 70's lived in Downey and her back yard was adjacent to the Carpenters home (fairly modest place even in those days). Her parents were friendly with the Carpenter family, and the music that came from that place on occasion was magical, even for those who didn't favor that genre.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Richard Carpenter Children

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What can you tell me about Richard Carpenter and anyother Carpenters besides Karen?

I need to know about Richard currently. e.g. Where does he live? Does he still record music?

Are there anyother famous Carpenters besides him and Karen?

Thank you very, very, very much. I am on a slow internet connection and need the info ASAP so anything at all that you could tellme would be...

Source(s): richard carpenter anyother carpenters karen: https://shortly.im/CIFWx
  • 3 years ago

Kristi Lynn Carpenter

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

richard carpenter anyother carpenters karen

• RoVale
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Mystmoonstruck, there's yet another famous Carpenter. That was 1930s blond bombshell Jean Harlow. Her real name was Harlean Carpenter. She started using her mother's name when she broke into movies.

• 3 years ago

Hey I'm here for the first time. I came across this question and I find the replies truly valuable. I'm hoping to give something back and assist others too.

• John N
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

it was just richard and his sister karen,, they lived at home gosh way up into age,,,, and the parent finaly died off,,, richard had built like a shrine kind of in tribute to karen,, i dont know if he ever got married or not,,, i think he tried some recording afterward but her voice is what carried them and he just never got it together after her death,,

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Be a kid once again! When eating out, order a new child’s sandwich, pizza or hamburger. Then you can have the treats you like, while reducing your portions and lowering your calorie intake.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

I'm not sure what to say

• 1 decade ago

John Carpenter

From Wikipedia:

John Howard Carpenter (born January 16, 1948) is an American film director, screenwriter, producer, film score composer and occasional actor. Carpenter has worked in numerous film genres, and is considered one of the most accomplished and influential horror and science fiction directors in Hollywood.

Y!A won't let me provide the link, and there's too much material to give you here. It would take so much room. If you want all of that, I can copy and paste. IMDB and Wikipedia list all of his credits.

Scott Carpenter

From Wikipedia:

Malcolm Scott Carpenter was one of the original seven astronauts selected in 1959 for Project Mercury. Created by the newly formed National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Project Mercury was the United States' answer to the Soviet Union's space program. This rivalry eventually became the space race — a contest between the two superpowers to land the first men on the moon and return them safely to Earth. Carpenter was the second American to orbit the earth and the fourth American in space, following Alan Shepard, Gus Grissom, and John Glenn.

Y!A won't let me provide a link to the site. If you want me to copy and paste all of that material, I can.

Charisma Carpenter

From Wikipedia:

Lee Carpenter (born July 23, 1970) is an American actress. She is best known for playing the character Cordelia Chase in the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer and its spin-off Angel.

Personal life

Carpenter was born in Las Vegas, Nevada, where she attended Bishop Gorman High School. She is of Cherokee, Irish, Scottish, and Spanish ancestry on her mother's side and French and German on her father's side.[citation needed] At 15, the family moved to Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico, and then to Chula Vista (a suburb of San Diego) where she attended Chula Vista High and Bonita Vista High. After graduation, she was a San Diego Chargers cheerleader in 1991 before beginning her Hollywood career. She had also dabbled in sky-diving. She married her French fiancé Damien Hardy on October 5, 2002 and she gave birth to son Donavan Charles Hardy on March 24, 2003. Carpenter and Hardy separated late in 2007. In December 2007, it was alleged that she was financially bankrupt as a result of the 2007–08 Writers Guild of America strike, and requested that her husband pay her legal fees. Carpenter has a large scar on her belly from a childhood accident. While five years old, and playing around a swimming pool that was still under construction, she fell onto a piece of rebar. The scar was incorporated into Buffy the Vampire Slayer in the episode "Lovers Walk", when her character fell onto an exposed piece of rebar. Carpenter has four tattoos; a tribal sun on her lower back that represents life, a rosary on her left wrist as a reminder to stay centered, D² on the inside of her right wrist to represent the names of her husband and son, and the infinity symbol on her left ring finger beneath her wedding ring.

Career

Charisma as The Seer Kira on Charmed.Carpenter was discovered by a commercial agent while working as a waitress. This led to several roles on TV advertisements. She made guest appearances in Baywatch and Miss Match, and she has had a role in Malibu Shores. Her best known role was that of Cordelia on TV's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.

After seven years of playing Cordelia Chase (three years on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and four years on Angel), Carpenter returned for Angel's 100th episode in the fifth and final season, explaining that she thought Cordelia fans deserved closure after the controversy of her unexplained removal from the show.

Carpenter became good friends with Holly Marie Combs during the filming of See Jane Date and this friendship led to her three episode guest stint on Charmed as a psychic demon called The Seer.

Carpenter appeared on the cover and posed for a nude pictorial in the June 2004 issue of Playboy magazine. She made the decision to pose as a way to motivate herself to lose her pregnancy weight. The photos were taken ten months after she gave birth to her son.

Carpenter has played three characters with the ability to tell the future. In Angel, her character, Cordelia, received visions from The Powers That Be. On Charmed, she played Kira, the Seer, who counted premonitions among her powers. In Voodoo Moon, she could tell the future through her drawings.

Carpenter had a recurring role as Kendall Casablancas in the TV series Veronica Mars for the 2005-2006 season, appearing in 11 episodes. She also starred in Voodoo Moon by writer/director Kevin VanHook, as well as an assortment of made-for-television movies. One such recent movie was called Relative Chaos on ABC Family, co-starring with Nicholas Brendon, one of her co-stars from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Carpenter guest-starred in the season finale of ABC Family's television show Greek.

According to TV Guide in September 2007, she was set to join the cast of The Apprentice: Celebrity Edition, but instead chose to do a guest appearance on the show Back to You as well as a recurring role on Big Shots.

NOTE: Her appearances on TV and in films are listed on IMDB and Wikipedia.

John Alden Carpenter

From Wikipedia:

John Alden Carpenter (February 28, 1876 - April 26, 1951) was a U.S. composer.

Born in Park Ridge, Illinois on February 28, 1876, Carpenter was raised in a musical household. He was educated at Harvard, where he studied under John Knowles Paine, and was president of the Glee Club, and wrote music for the Hasty-Pudding Club. Showing great promise as a composer, he journeyed to London to study under Sir Edward Elgar, later returning to the United States to study under Bernhard Ziehn in Chicago. It was there he earned a comfortable living as vice-president of the family business, a mill supply company. He was a member of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia music fraternity.

Carpenter composed many works meant to encompass the spirit of America, including several jazz inspired works. He composed several ballets, including one based on the Krazy Kat comics, and one, his best-known, possibly, entitled Skyscrapers 1926, inspired by his city of residence. One of his most famous works was 1914's impressionistic orchestral suite Adventures in a Perambulator. In 1932 he completed The Song of Faith for the George Washington bicentennial. Another ballet he was best known for his Concertino for Piano and Orchestra 1916.

He died in Chicago in 1951.

John Alden Carpenter was listed in the International Music Score Library Project

Mary Chapin Carpenter

From Wikipedia:

Mary Chapin Carpenter (born February 21, 1958) is a American country/folk singer-songwriter and guitarist. She spent several years singing in Washington, D.C. clubs before signing in the late 1980s with Columbia Records, who marketed her as a country singer. Carpenter's first album, 1987's Hometown Girl, did not produce any singles, although 1989's State of the Heart and 1990's Shooting Straight in the Dark each produced four Top 20 hits on the Billboard country singles charts.

In 1992, Carpenter released her most successful album to date, Come On Come On, which yielded seven charting country singles and was certified quadruple platinum in the U.S. for sales exceeding four million copies. She followed it with Stones in the Road (1994) and A Place in the World (1996), which both featured hit singles. In the 2000s, Carpenter's albums departed both thematically and musically from her early work, becoming less radio-friendly and more focused on societal and political issues.[citation needed] Her most recent album, The Calling, was released in March 2007.

Carpenter has won five Grammy Awards, and is the only artist to have won four consecutive Grammy Award for Best Female Country Vocal Performance, which she received from 1992 to 1995. As of 2005, she had sold more than 12 million records.

Carpenter has performed on television shows such as Late Night with David Letterman and Austin City Limits and tours frequently, returning to Washington almost every summer to perform at the popular outdoor venue Wolf Trap.

NOTE: Wikipedia has much more about her. If you want me to cut and paste the rest, I can.

Don Carpenter

From Wikipedia:

Don Carpenter (1931-1995) was an American writer. He wrote numerous novels, novellas, short stories and screenplays over the course of a 22-year career that took him from a childhood in Berkeley and the Pacific Northwest to the corridors of power and ego in Hollywood. A gifted observer of human frailty, he wrote penetratingly about both worlds with a rare talent for depicting marginal characters such as pool sharks, prisoners and drug dealers, as well as movie moguls and struggling actors. Although lauded by critics and fellow writers alike, Carpenter's novels and stories never reached a mass audience and he supported himself with extensive work for Hollywood. These experiences provided the grist for his acclaimed trio of novels from 1975-1981. He also wrote and co-produced the highly regarded film "Payday" starring Rip Torn, in 1972. Facing a mounting series of debilitating illnesses, Carpenter committed suicide by gunshot in 1995.

WORKS:

Hard Rain Falling (novel - 1966)

Blade of Light (novel - 1967)

The Murder of the Frogs and Other Stories (novellas and stories - 1969)

Getting Off (novel - 1971)

Payday (movie, 1972)

The True Life Story of Jody McKeegan (novel - 1975)

Charles Bukowski's Post Office (screenplay - 1977?)

A Couple of Comedians (novel - 1979)

Snyder, Whalen and Welch, Together (magazine article, 1981)

Turnaround (novel - 1981)

The Class of '49 (novel and two stories - 1985)

The Dispossessed (novel - 1986)

From A Distant Place (novel - 1988)

NOTE: This is everything from the site.

I saw that you received answers about Richard Carpenter, so I didn't repeat any of that, instead finding others. Again, if you need the rest of the information, I can retrieve it for you. Or, I can email you the Wikipedia links.

EDIT: I didn't count Jean Harlow because she didn't make the name famous. I went for those who made the surname famous. But, you can give her the Jean Harlow info if you'd like. I honestly didn't think that she fit the question.

Source(s): I see we all received thumbs down. If this isn't what you want, you could tell us so. I'll delete the material if it isn't what you are looking for. Otherwise, I don't know why people who answered your question should receive thumbs down. Is there a reason? I just gave the first two people a thumbs up to counterbalance the "downer".
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.