Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 decade ago

if you owe the IRS from last year, 2006 will the IRS take my check this year.?

I live in Ohio and i do not know if this varies from state to state but i am getting ready to file my taxes and i am anticipating a large refund. I however, still owe the IRS from 2006. Will they know about my refund and Can i expect them to take it or hold my money? Do they have a way to track this if i get one of those instant refunds? I am making payments but i could really use the money for other things. Please let me know.

Favorite Answer

The IRS pretty much knows everything that's going on. I would think they know you're getting a tax refund.

YES, the IRS will take your refund. Why would they give a refund to some one who owes them money? They're generally not that stupid. Yes, they have many ways to track this. If a bank gives you an instant refund and the IRS grabs your refund, you're in a BIG MESS. Not only will you owe the IRS, you'll owe the bank and the tax preparer. Why would you want everyone on your case? The IRS is federal and it does not vary from state to state.

Source(s): irs.gov professional tax preparer

IRS will offset your federal refund,. Here is a copy of what is on IRS website question and answers.

Will I Still Get My Tax Refunds if I have an Installment Agreement?

As a condition of your installment agreement, any refund due to you in a future year will be applied against the amount you owe. Therefore, you may not get all of your refund if you owe certain past-due amounts, such as federal tax, state tax, a student loan, or child support. The IRS will automatically apply the refund to the taxes owed. If the amount of your refund does not take care of the tax debt; then your installment agreement continues until all of the terms are met.

Source(s): www.irs.gov
  • Bill

Don't get the instant refund. The IRS will withhold your refund then you'll owe the refund company the amount plus interest.

If you don't have a payment arrangement with the IRS you will have to pay interest and penalties for the amount from 2006.

You don't want to mess with the IRS. They can be bastards.

If you expect a refund on your 2007 return, you should file it as soon as possible. This is because IRS will apply your refund to what you owe as of the date the return is processed or April 15, whichever is earlier. You will save on late payment penalty and interest if you file early.

Yes, without a doubt they will take what you owe and it doesnt matter what kind of refund you choose to get.

Hi there.I've had this problem in the past.Yes,if you do owe the I.R.S. money,then they will probably keep the amount you owe,and then release the rest to you,if there is any left.You can call them and ask if there are any holds.

honey untill you paid whatever yu own them , other wise they will keep your money. last year when they keep your refund did they send you the letter with your credit ?? then you should know how much more you own them ! sorry!!

They had BETTER take what you owe from last year from your current refund.

Better luck next year................

• Ernie

Count on it!