Richard III Act 1 Questions.?

I am reading Richard III in my ELA class and am having a bit of a rough time with it. I have to have these three questions answered by tommorow, and I forgot the book at school. Anyone familiar with the play that could offer any bit of help would be immensley appriciated. Heres the questions:

1) Explain in detail how Richard misleads Clarence about the cause of his imprisonment.

2) Explain how Richard intimidates Brackenberry into allowing them to talk in private.

3) The scene closes with a soliloquy by Richard. Paraphrase each sentence of this soliloquy into contemporary English.

Like I said, you don't need to answer all or even one of them completley, but at this point, anything helps.

Thanks again.

-Tina

Favorite Answer

1. Richard tells Clarence (first name: George; Richard's own brother) that the cause of imprisonment is a result of a., a wizard, and b., the king's wife.

Clarence says of the king:

"He hearkens after prophecies and dreams, And from the cross-row plucks the letter G, and says a wizard told him that by G His issue disinherited should be. And, for my name of George begins with G.." (I,i, 54)

Richard shortly after says:

"Why, this it is, when men are ruled by women: "Tis not the king that sends you to the Tower; My Lady Grey his wife, Clarence, 'tis she That tempers him to this extremity."

(I,i, 62)

But after Clarence is taken off to his prison cell, Richard says alone in a soliloquy:

"He cannot live, I hope, and must not die Till George be packed with posthorse up to heaven. I'll in, to urge his hatred more to Clarence With lies well steeled with weighty arguments; And if I fail not in my deep intent, Clarence hath not another day to live."

(I, i, 146)

2. Brackenbury. Richard says to him--during the conversation with Clarence:

""You may partake of anything we say, We speak no treason, man. We say the king is wise and virtuous, and his noble queen Well struck in years, fair, and not jealous...How say you, sir? Can you deny all this?" (I, i, 89)

In other word, Richard says flattering things about the King and asks B, can you deny this?