96 volkswagon jetta driver door lock broke and cannot un lock car without arlarm giong off how do i fix?

i tried to open the driver side door on a cold mornin and the lock would not open the doors

it has power locks and it controls the lock system with turn of a key

i dont kno how to fix it and would liek to do it myself

any help would be thank full

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You are going to have to get the door open. Then on the door frame next to the handle is a hole that has a star bolt. Remove the star bolt by unscrewing it.

Then push the door handle out to the side. You will see a paddle looking item sticking out of the back of the lock cylinder. If you don't --- It's broke. Very COMMON.

Either replace this or if it is not broke then the clip inside the door where this paddle goes is broken. If this is broken its a real pain to fix.

Call a Local REAL Locksmith for an estimate. We charge anywhere from75 - 150 depending on what needs to be done.

Source(s): I am a Locksmith and Security dealer.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

When you buy a new car lock, the installer will re-key the new lock to match your key. Take your car to any mechanic and have them replace the lock. When you get the car back, it'll be like nothing ever happened. This is a very common repair and it would be very aggravating to have to carry around different keys for different doors on your car, which is why new car door locks don't come with a set of keys (the lock is adjusted to match your key).

• 1 decade ago

take the door panel off and see whats broke

• 1 decade ago

Nice one Looney!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.