Should you raise your children according to *your* values or raise them according to "Society's" ....

I certainly kept in mind the change in Society but my boys were raised according to what I thought best and never mind that "But everyone else does/can/is allowed too ..." and so on. My boys had *values* instilled into them and that stood them in good stead. Those parents today who follow the latest... show more I certainly kept in mind the change in Society but my boys were raised according to what I thought best and never mind that "But everyone else does/can/is allowed too ..." and so on.
My boys had *values* instilled into them and that stood them in good stead.
Those parents today who follow the latest "fashions" may well be seen as their children's "friends" but those children will pay for that in the future - mark my words!
Update: I don't just mean fashions as regards "designer" clothing and so forth (although that is bad enough) but the latest childraising fashions and fads that come out and some parents take as gospel even though fundamentally children's needs are just the same as they always have been and what went in... show more I don't just mean fashions as regards "designer" clothing and so forth (although that is bad enough) but the latest childraising fashions and fads that come out and some parents take as gospel even though fundamentally children's needs are just the same as they always have been and what went in the past applies equally today with minor adaptations to take modern-day technology into account (e.g. whereas I would stop my boys mixing with certain children or going to certain places *physically* today parents have to keep an eye on who their children are "mixing" with on the computer or telephone too)