Have you received an email from the Internal Revenue Service offering a quick refund?

If you receive an email from the Internal Revenue Service offering a quick refund, it's probably a scam.

A few people are getting the messages, with a link asking for your bank account and Social Security number.

IRS-Indianapolis spokesman Jack Massey says the IRS would NOT solicit someone over e-mail - the IRS uses regular mail.

Furthermore, the IRS already has your Social Security number.

But, Massey says because the emails do look very real, complete with the IRS logo, it's easy to get fooled.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

No, I haven't gotten phony IRS e-mails (or any IRS emails), in any of my accounts. I did hear about this on the news this morning. Predators are always around.... :(

Source(s): IRS Warns of New E-Mail and Telephone Scams Using the IRS Name; Advance Payment Scams Starting http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=178061,0...
  • 1 decade ago

I am not easily fooled. Any mail from the IRS is offically deleted. If they want me, they know where they can find me. I also delete without opening any bank or saving institution emails. As a matter of habit, I delete about 95% of all emails without opening. And I use my company computer, because of the top of the line antivirus and antispam software along with firewall protection that is bullet proof. LOL

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Well, you are getting a refund of the taxes that you overpaid to the government. Or, as I like to say you gave Uncle Sam an interest-free loan of your own money.

• awftx
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Stop and Think, WHY would the IRS need you to give them your SSN ??? That in it's self should be a red flag....

The other red flag should be the IRS, offering to do "anything" quick...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Great information to pass along! I have not received this yet, but I will be careful. I think I will pass this information on to some friends. Thank you!

• 1 decade ago

Yes -- I have received such emails and immediately blocked and deleted them.

I'm sure many people are being "scammed" by these emails.

Sad but true!!!

Thank You for sharing this.

• CJ
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

There was a stern warnng about this abuse on the CBS news last night - I just hope that no body believed it to be the real thing!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrghh!!! CJ

• 1 decade ago

Yup, it's a scam.

There's simple logic to figuring it out.

WHO EVER HEARD OF THE IRS OFFERING TO GIVE BACK MONEY??????????????

• 1 decade ago

I wouldn't give my personal info to anyone on the computer.

• 1 decade ago

Always check these things with this website.

Source(s): www.snopes.com
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.