Who "invented" blogs?

What was the first "blog" on the Web? Does any one person claim to have invented the form? Please include links!

• Sabine
    Favorite Answer

December 1997: Jorn Barger starts a daily log of interesting Web links published in reverse chronological order, calling it Robot Wisdom WebLog. The term "Weblog" is soon generalized by other online publishers to include any page with frequent short posts in reverse chronological order.

1998: Open Diary becomes one of the first online tools to assist users in the publishing of online journals. It would later be followed by other journaling tools, including LiveJournal (1999), DiaryLand (1999), Pitas (1999), Blogger (1999), Xanga (2000), Movable Type (2001) and Wordpress (2003).

Spring 1999: Online journal author Peter Merholz takes Jorn Barger's word "weblog" and splits it into the phrase "We blog." Blog soon becomes shorthand for weblog.

In 2001, Andrew Sullivan was one of the first big-name bloggers to emerge.

I heard it on NPR :)

Blogging has been around since the late 70's when Bulletin Board Systems (BBS) were around and you had to dial thru a phone line to connect, YES a phone line using a modem like a 28.8K or slower which if you wanted to download a movie or game would take 3 days (no joke) which now takes like what 1 minute?

The hipe of the internet started only a few years ago when high speed internet was brought into the spot light! you got to remember there have been online message boards on bulletin board systems (BBS) dating back to the late 70's you could also play games and chat on them too.

John blog, a genius mycologist's from London. It was a way to speak and get something off your mind for less than 200$ an hour.

Of course this is all bs

• Mary

While Wil has a valid point,,it would certainly never be boring to have Chester doing that blog.. I have to give my vote to Buk. he is much better at sticking the shiv in without being so obvious about it.. or even making you stop and go.. "Holy God..I never thought about it that way before..." Buk is my vote.

Bradley Joseph "Brad" Fitzpatrick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Fitzpatrick

Jorn Barger

Are you talking about the term "blog" ?

I think it was the guy with the hat what's his name Drudge yeah that's it! he was the one who made it main streams at least.... In My humble opinion. BTW I never read a single one of his "blogs" he's just mentioned all the time on the radio.

Actually , Jorn Barger invented the term "blog".

"In 1998 there were just a handful of sites of the type that are now identified as weblogs (so named by Jorn Barger in 1997)

" It took all the way until 1997, however, before the term “blog: was developed. The word as actually jokingly used by Jorn Barger when he broke the word weblog into two words, “we blog,” and posted it on the sidebar of his own blog. The term quickly caught on and has been in use ever since."

As stated in http://www.blockstar.com/blog/blog_timeline.html

"Like with the start of many things, early bloggers did not have a name for what they were doing. While it took some time for the genre and the name to develop, blogging has been around since the begining of the internet. "

So the actual inventor might be :Dave Winer

"Created by the US web guru Dave Winer, Scripting News is sometimes described as the first modern blog, though the term "weblog" was not used in the early days. Flickering into life on April 1 1997, Scripting News is still going strong and is credited with helping popularise RSS and podcasting, too. Winer himself actually calls info.cern.ch, built by Tim Berners-Lee, the first weblog because it "pointed to all the new sites as they came online". "

Still, Dane Winer's blog is described in wikipedia as:

"one of the oldest weblogs, established in 1997"

so there is a chance he is not......!

UPDATE!!!

Also:

"Rec.humor.funny was created on Aug 7, 1987 after having first been proposed in 1986. This might qualify it as the oldest still-running blog."

And this one:

"I assign the title of the oldest blog to one of the earliest moderated newgroups "mod.ber" which was created by Brian Redman in late 1983. Mod.ber was a newsgroup where Brian and some friends identified interesting threads going on around the net, and posted summaries of them so people could find them -- very much like many of the popular "cool thing" link blogs today."

YET ANOTHER UPDATE (this is getting too long, I know, and I am sorry)

There are a few other online publications which might also make a claim for being first or oldest blog:

"Risks Digest" (online publication which began in 1985 and continues to this day)

"Telecom Digest" (mailing list stil in operation)

THIRD UPDATE

To Anna P below, even if you consider an online diary as a blog, I think you are wrong....

"The first online diary is thought to be Claudio Pinhanez's "Open Diary", published at the MIT Media Lab website from 14 November 1994 until 1996.Other early online diarists include Justin Hall, who began eleven years of personal online diary-writing in 1994, Carolyn Burke, who started publishing "Carolyn's Diary" on 3 January 1995, and Bryon Sutherland, who announced his diary The Semi-Existence of Bryon in a USENET newsgroup on On 19 April 1995 ."

[wikipedia]

FOURTH UPDATE

But again...[Anna P] you might be right...:

"January 1994

Swarthmore student Justin Hall creates first blog ever, Links.net.

December 1997

Online diarist Jorn Barger coins the term “Weblog” for “logging the Web.”

April 1999

Programmer Peter Merholz shortens “Weblog” to “blog.”

August 1999

Blogger rolls out the first popular, free blog-creation service."

Well, if you can, sort this out!

I'm reading all answers here, I'm sure they are correct, but all i know is it's a combination of the words web log. Wasn't it shorted in '99?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog

John Bloggman