Can someone who is approved for a VA home loan, get the house for her son to live in?

My mother in law qualifies for the VA home loan, through her late husband who was in Vietnam and died from something he contracted from the war. Agent orange? I think? I'm not sure. Anyway. She wants to use this VA loan to get me and my husband a house. Can she do this if she isn't planning on living there? Also, is the VA home loan based on her income?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • godged
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

VA loans require the home be owner occupied.

Source(s): Oregon Realtor
  • 1 decade ago

First you have to make sure your mother has the document that is given to her by the VA. If she has a VA Loan on her current home, then it won't be possible. Unless she is willing to move to her new home(which will be yours).

No the VA Loan will based your income. Also you should be talking a professional about this, not people who just believe they know the answer. If you need more help, email me.

Source(s): I have the information in my office.
  • 4 years ago

Huh? You make $36,000 a year, pay out $17,000, have a $25,000 car laon and you want to buy a house? You're kidding right? You guys are in HEAVY debt. Why would two students living with parents have two financed cars?!?!?! You guys need to get completely out of debt, compile an emergency fund of 3 to 6 month's expenses. Both get CAREERS, not jobs, and save up a 10 to 20% down payment, PLUS about 6% for closing costs. You guys are a LONG way from uying a house. If you do try it, you will be bankrupt or foreclosed in no time.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Just get the loan in your name. A VA loan is expensive compared to what the open market has to offer.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You can only get a VA loan if you move into the property and live there.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Everything I'm finding says spouse of deceased veteran. Can't find anything that says you can purchase it for dependents.

OOPS! found it. No, she cannot get the home for you. See the second link for more detail:

Q: Are the children of a living or deceased veteran eligible for the home loan benefit?

A: No, the children of an eligible veteran are not eligible for the home loan benefit

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

She can qualify as a non-occupant coborrower. If her house she lives in is free and clear, she may have no problem doing it this way and qualifying. Make sure you and your husband are put on Title and as borrowers if you won't hurt the loan (don't go on the note if you have bad credit).

• cowboy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

no she can't. she has to live in it for (1) YEAR HERself with them. or alone. she can't just buy it for them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.