? asked in 社會與文化語言 · 1 decade ago

would this be racist?

A student group at Roger Williams University in Bristol is offering a scholarship for which only white students are eligible, a move they say is designed to protest affirmative action.

The application for the $250 award requires an essay on "why you are proud of your white heritage" and a recent picture to "confirm whiteness."

Jason Mattera, 20, president of the College Republicans, the group offering the scholarship said the group is parodying minority scholarships. The school's provost said the initiative is not endorsed by the university.

would this be racist? would you apply for the scholarships?

Rating
    Favorite Answer

Yes, it would definitely be racist. Furthermore, I will not apply for the scholarships for sure. There are many reason why I won't do it. First of all, although the group claimed that they are parodying minority scholarships, but since the minority might actually needed the scholarship to maintain their education, I think there is nothing wrong with it. In addition, the act itself is foolish and childish, they are basically telling people that they believe white people are the best. Since the majority of the population is already white, I don't think there is that many problem for them to access their rights in their society. An action brought up by the white students like this is pretty inappropriate. I totally disagree with applying for it.