Why is Hillary Clinton so polarizing? What makes Democrats think she has a chance in the GENERAL election?

Favorite Answer

Here is a short list of what Mrs. Clinton has been doing since college:

Hillary has been active in a number of organizations concerned with the welfare of children after law school ---often worked for FREE and was the first female partner at Rose Law Firm in 1979 and was listed as one of the one hundred most influential lawyers in America in 1988 and 1991. Hillary advised the Children's Defense Fund in Cambridge and joined the impeachment inquiry staff advising the Judiciary Committee of the House of Representatives.

President Jimmy Carter appointed her to the board of the Legal Services Corporation She chaired the Arkansas Educational Standards Committee, co-founded the Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families, and served on the boards of the Arkansas Children's Hospital, Legal Services, and the Children's Defense Fund.

Organizations:

Co-Founder, Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families

Board Member, Arkansas Children's Hospital

Board Member, Children's Defense Fund

Awards

-Humanitarian Award, Elie Wiesel Foundation

-Women Who Make A Difference Lifetime Achievement Award, Family Circle

-President's Award, League of United Latin American Citizens

-International Women's Philanthropy Award, Lion of Judah Conference of Combined Jewish Philanthropies

-Distinguished Bridge Builder Award, Leon H. Sullivan Foundation

-Recognition, Military Order of the Purple Heart

-Distinguished Service Award, National Association of Elementary School Principals

-Bully Pulpit Award, National Council for Adoption

-Black Women of Courage Award, National Federation of Black Women Business Owners

-Martin Luther King Jr. Award, Progressive National Baptist Convention

- Secretary of Defense Medal for Outstanding Public Service

-Woman of Steel - Role Model of the Year, United Steel Workers of America

-Arkansas Woman of the Year-1983

-Arkansas Mother of the Year-1984

Hillary won many admirers for her staunch support for women around the world and her commitment to children's issues.

Mrs. Clinton is an articulate and tough lady and I do believe she can hold her own against whoever becomes the Republican candidate.

Now - the real question is....how can the Republicans think that they have a serious chance of placing anyone in the White House?

After the fiasco of Bush Jr. with his lick and promise (but never intended follow through) solutions to ILLEGAL immigration, the failed "No Child Left Behind" program, the terrible state of healthcare insurance - when people who are able to afford insurance, can be one healthcare crisis away from bancrupcy thanks to high pemiums/deductables, or the ever popular "pre-existing" arguements that slow payments or deny claims completely (whether true or not), our countries completely ruined global reputation, 935 false statements about the Iraq war, the travesty of New Orleans/Hurricane Katrina and so on and so on and so on...

• john k

She is polarizing because she has already been in the White House for 8 years, we all know her and have pretty strong opinions about her. The fact that she is a female running for president might also be a factor, but then Obama's race could been called equally as polaring as Clinton's gender.

As to the second question, I am a Democrat, and I believe that just about any nominee my party puts forth this year will win by a landslide. The Republicans have dug a hole so deep, there is no way they keep the executive branch for another term. That being said, I do not think that Clinton is the right person for our party. Don't get me wrong, If she gets the nod, I will support her al lthe way through to November, but her career politics and well rehearsed, spin-doctored rhetoric does not fill me with any sense of hope for our future. Listen to Obama give one speech, just one, and I challenge you not to be moved.

I know I went away from your original question for a second there, but I had a reason. While I think either Obama or Clinton has a better than average shot of winning the general election, I fear that a Clinton win will result in a four year term of a whole lot of nothing, followed by the Republicans returning to office in '12. An Obama win has a chance to intstill real change in Washington and the rest of the country. An Obama win carries with it the strength to carry through with campaign promises and go the distance with an 8 year administration. And most importantly, an Obama win in '08 is the first step for us as a nation to return The USA to it's rightful place of respect and hope. To regain our status as the shining beacon of liberty on this planet. To be both proud and humble, strong yet merciful, diverse but united. One Nation, with liberty and justice for all.

Mad, you're saying it all when you say that a lot of people don't like her. In terms of electability (of a woman, forcrissake), how much bigger a negative does she need, do you think? Besides, let's pretend, for a moment, she happens to win the election.... The last seven years (by placing not merely a final straw, but a whole bale on its deteriorating back), has left this country badly, badly in need of a complete overhaul. (A tune-up's not going to get this baby running - not this time!) For that to happen, Clinton (or any new President) is going to need some major back-up... across the board. Conservatives aren't going to give her that kind of support.. Men (both Lib And Con) who resent her won't, either.... and those who REALLY don't like her are going to ride her like a trick pony in the circus. Then what? Oh... choices, choices! She'll either refuse to fight back... making her wimpy, wishy-washy, weak, a Woman! (What did you expect?) Or, she will fight back.... making her Bill's ball-b*sting Bee-atch!! (What did you expect?) At this point, the real fun (Enter Media) should begin... and, she'll spend the rest of her administration defending her decisions and herself - with little time left over to give this country what it desperately needs - honest, intelligent leadership. Frankly, in my opinion, Obama stands a better chance than she does (as would Sharpton and/or Craig, for that matter) So, right about now.... you may be thinking that I must be one of those Hillary-haters.... but, I'm not. Actually, my wishful side would like to see her pull this off. However, my practical side knows she can't.... Neither can Obama, much as I like him. No, I think what you're missing here... the brilliant strategy... is that the Repulicans aren't as stupid as they would have us believe... Arrogant, possibly (because they're holding cards they're not showing), but not stupid! I believe something (real or fabricated) is going to turn things in their favor - and they know it. I can't tell what... but, something!! Who knows.... they might even find Bin Laden (or a reasonable facsimile). And, y'know... with any luck at all... he'll be found.... in Iran. Hell, Bush may be our first three-term President. If not, the Cons could find a reasonable facsimile for him, as well.

Polarizing because:

-She's married to Bill

-Many don't like how she plays politics

-Some men refuse to vote for a woman

Her chance:

-Was seen as the only viable Democratic frontrunner since Kerry had his rear-end handed to him

-Pretty popular with a large group of traditional Democrats (older generation)

Hillary doesn't polarize people. The people who don't like her are the ones starting fires and calling attention to them. I hope she makes it to the general election and picks a good running mate.

Now that Edwards dropped out, if she doesn't make it, I will have to vote Republican.

Might be concerning her ideas and plans regarding bringing home the troops in Iraq safely, healthcare for everyone and handling the home foreclosures problems, etc.

She is a Clinton. Thats like the Yankees, or the Cowboys, its either love or hate. I prefer to hate her.

Because Hillary is evil incarnate, which answers both of your questions.

If she wins the nomination how polarizing can she be?

Becuase she is not as polarizing as everyone saids. When America sees her plans and her ideas and her leadership they will realized she will be a good president.