promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Tips on steaming veggies?

I got a vegetable steamer recently, and was wondering if anyone could share tips on steaming vegetables, like ways to add good flavor.

I've tried drizzling olive oil over them, adding some cajun spices, adding herbs, etc. Any tips would be appreciated...not just what to add but how and when to add it. Thanks.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Steamed Broccoli-- Trim 1 1/2 lbs broccoli into florets, place in steaming basket over boiling water, and steam covered for 3 minutes. Remove the lid partially and cook another 8-10 minutes. Remove to a platter and season with melted butter, salt and pepper, and lemon juice.

I also like this simple yet delicious recipe for ginger and lemon steamed veggies-- http://www.recipezaar.com/192785

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Juliet
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

You can add flavor while they're steaming - or after they're steamed.

While they're steaming - try using dill, tarragon, curry, nutmeg, garlic or ginger. You can also steam them over broth - like chicken, vegetable, beef.

After they're steamed you can add the same ingredients. Or toss steamed vegetables in butter and breadcrumbs, or garlic and oil, or just eat them as I do - with a sprinkle of salt.

Enjoy!

• 1 decade ago

just before they are done steaming,saute some minced garlic and shallots in a pan with olive oil. toss the veggies in pan and voila!

Source(s): always do my green beans this way.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if your not to worried about fat put butter and brown sugar it keeps the vegtable moist and add great flavor along with herbs

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.