I just received a 2500 check from a legitimate company. Is it real or a scam? cash it? throw it away?

The company it came from is legitimate, because i did some research on it. The check had all the markings that a check has, watermarks, bank name, company name, numbers etc. What should i do?

Favorite Answer

Take the check to a bank and ask the teller what you should do with it. Personally I would just tear it into pieces and throw it away. The amount is too good to be true.

Go to the bank. They know if the bank exists. It won't cause you any problem as the most that will happen to you is that you get no money. If that company has no money in their bank account they will be charged a NSF fee for writing a cheque and not being able to cover it with sufficient funds. If the check is real, and you can prove your identity (most banks would rather have that you have an account with them) saving account or something - even if it has next to nothing in it...it is irrelevant. They are just protecting themselves from you "finding a check that does not belong to you". But they will cash it if it is legit. They want to make sure they get their money back from the other bank. I have never heard of all banks(the bank has a directory they can look into). If you go to a non-bank cashier, they do the same checks before they give you any money and they take off their service charges which can be pretty hefty for doing nothing. I get checks out of England, and there is no way I know the banks in England.. Hey, if my local bank pays me, it must be legit.

Did you do anything to get the money?? How do you know the company is legit? Call up the company but don't use the phone number on the check, look it up online or in the phone book. Also, sometimes you get checks in the mail, usually for much less, but by cashing them you automatically enroll in programs. Read any materials you got with the check because these programs can be killer, and can start automatically taking money out of your account without your actual consent.

It sounds fishy to me, if you've gotten the check out of the blue.

Malarky. Who cares what or why they sent it to you. The key thing is that the bank exists, the check is signed, and it says

"Pay to the order of", with no other qualifications.

Usually this kind of "bait" will include some notation like "Cashing of this check will enroll you in a life insurance policy that is overpriced and you don't need" So that is the only thing to look out for....You don't want to have to hire an attorney to try to get out of a contract that you didn't know you were signing up for.

But some kinds of life insurance, like "whole life" are a good thing.....better than a savings account for most people.

Call the attorny generals office and see if there are any reports on the company I have received several checks from so called legitmate companies but all have turned out to be a scam. They tell you to deposit the check and asked for some money then the check turns out to be bad and your stuck. You can also contact your bank.

contact the company and find out who/why it was issued to you in the first place. There should be a phone number somewhere on the check. Also, did it come with a letter with LOTS and LOTS of fine print? If so read the fine print, you may be signing your life away by cashing it.

well first off ask yourself, what did u do to get the money?? If u realy didn't do ne thing then, it must be fake. Plus a lot of illegal checks do look verry real. I would go to your bank, and ask them if this was a real check, cause if u try to cash it or deposit it, and it is fake, you can get charged as a crime for it. so be care full.