7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If your total system power is a 1000 watts RMS or more you will need to:

1. Upgrade the alternator to a high output alternator

2. Upgrade to a heavy duty deep cycle battery

3. Upgrade the "Big 3" - that is to replace the power wire between the battery and alternator, the ground from the battery to the chassis and the ground strap from the engine/tranny to the chassis with at least 2 AWG wire.

Failure to do this will result in you replacing them anyway as the alternator will eventually fail.

A cap is only good so far as the audio system isn't trying to pull too much from the electrical system. A cap doesn't provide more power, it's designed to 'stiffen' the voltage to the amp, nothing esle. If the current isn't there, a cap won't help.

A second battery is never a good idea as it's just an added strain on the alternator unless you plan on running the system with the engine off.

Here is a guide that will calculate what size alternator and power wires you need as well how to set the gain http://www.datafilehost.com/download.php?file=6d26...

You'll need Microsft Excel to use it.

See my site for more info http://spkrbox1.spaces.live.com

Source(s): A.A.S. degree in Electronics/Industrial Electronics with 25 years in the mobile audio/consumer electronics field
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Best Battery For Car Audio

• 3 years ago

Best Car Audio Battery

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Best car audio battery?

whats the best battery to have for a car audio. Ill be running over 2000 watts

Source(s): car audio battery: https://tr.im/bqes6
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i go with optima yellow or blue top. but if u want to spend more money and get the same if not less go with kinetik batteries. my buddy at usaci world finals this year gained .1 of a db by putting a yellow instead of his kinetik. and he hit 162.7 db. just to put this out there not dissing on anyone i ran 3900 watts from a d2 shredder off a red top on a stock alt and never had a prob i could hit with engine off for over 8 min and still start with 12.9 volts for over 2 years . just to put it out there. i think its a hit or miss if u running street beat and need a after mark alt or not. thats my say.

• JimL
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

i'd go with a Kinetik. however before i get a big new battery, i'd get a big new H.O alternator.

good luck

• 1 decade ago

optima yellow or red top..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.