Is the Bible infallible because it claims to be the word of God...?

which in turn makes God infallible because the Bible, which is infallible is such because it's the word of God?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_logic#An_exa...

Update:

""we believe in God not because of the Bible. the Bible is the word of God.

God first, then Bible. linear, not circular.""

I'm sorry, where did you find your God again?

Update 2:

"There is a starting point to the logical flow, and that starting point is God."

Now you're telling me that God wrote the Bible?!

Update 3:

""The Bible, the Scriptures of the Old Testament and the New Testament, preserved for us in the Masoretic text (Old Testament) Textus Receptus (New Testament) and in the King James Bible, is verbally and plenarily inspired of God. It is the inspired, inerrant, infallible, and altogether authentic, accurate and authoritative Word of God, therefore the supreme and final authority in all things.""

So, the Bible also calls itself infallible?

Update 4:

It's still circular.

Update 5:

shjOlds_442, did you follow my link?

Update 6:

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

So says the BIBLE! What part of the question did you not understand?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Round and round it goes...

Although to call this "circular logic" is a bit of an understatement... it's more of a downward sprial.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is a very good question. But it can't be answered in a few sentences. I apologize in advance for the length of this answer.

The bible does not call itself infallible. But it does claim to be "God-breathed" or inspired. A critical thing to note is that it is the text, not the human authors which is inspired. The official doctrine of inspiration runs like this: men, speaking freely from their hearts as the Spirit of God moved them produced writings that exactly represented God's intent. So man's words became God's Word. Of course this is a miracle. Subject to all the criticisms associated with the miraculous.

Infallibility is an inference based on inspiration. Since God knows everything the words He inspired must be absolutely true.

The problem is that the bible is more than just a Divine book. It is also a human book written by real men living at real points in history. The world-views of the authors show in the text. Which makes sense since the original audience shared this same world-view. Nobody would have believed that God had said something that didn't fit with 'reality'.

Our trouble is that 'reality' has shifted. We no longer see the world the way the original writers and readers of scripture did.

We see glaring scientific errors and historical inaccuracies. This was not a problem originally because, as I said, the first readers shared the writers' view of the physical world, and treated history differently than we do now. It was looser and less concerned with precise detail than with teaching a lesson.

My position is that this tension was inevitable. It would have been impossible to give scripture at any real concrete point in time and have it be both believable to it first audience and immune from shifting views of reality. The same thing would happen if the bible were written today. The 'scientific truth' we are so proud of will certainly be viewed as skewed and naive 2500 yrs from now.

It's a kind of epistemological conundrum. My advice, for what it's worth is to spend less time searching and arguing about mistakes and more time searching for truth in scripture. If one does that they will find more than just truth, they will find God.

peace

• paul h
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

God is eternal, perfect and Holy, irregardless of whether He inspired the Bible to be written by men and women...we accept the Bible as being the true, inspired Word of God, inspired by God to be written by men and women in a time when writing was the only way to convey a message throughout all time to all peoples, a God who does not, cannot nor has any need to lie and is inerrant...not as men are...therefore, His Word is true.

Romans 3:4

Not at all! Let God be true, and every man a liar. As it is written:

2 Timothy 3:16

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

• 1 decade ago

If God can write 10 commandments on 2 tablets of stone with his own FINGER, surely he can write the Bible himself, though he did not write it. But don't be deceived to believe that the Word is fallible, because the scribes and constructers of the Bible were enlightened by the Holy Spirit, which comes directly from God. So, no, I see your wit and the Almighty did not take a pen and paper and write the Bible. He used prophets, men, to convey His message.

In addition, why would God ever allow his message to be scrambled if he wants it heard? He would never mislead His people. As for things which are puzzling in the Bible; be it God's will, He will enlighten to the truth those worthy. Keep His Ten Commandments, including the seventh day Sabbath, that all puzzle pieces shall fall into place.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Short list of bible errors:

1. God is satisfied with his works

Gen 1:31

God is dissatisfied with his works.

Gen 6:6

2. God dwells in chosen temples

2 Chron 7:12,16

God dwells not in temples

Acts 7:48

3. God dwells in light

Tim 6:16

God dwells in darkness

1 Kings 8:12/ Ps 18:11/ Ps 97:2

4. God is seen and heard

Ex 33:23/ Ex 33:11/ Gen 3:9,10/ Gen 32:30/ Is 6:1/

Ex 24:9-11

God is invisible and cannot be heard

John 1:18/ John 5:37/ Ex 33:20/ 1 Tim 6:16

5. God is tired and rests

Ex 31:17

God is never tired and never rests

Is 40:28

6. God is everywhere present, sees and knows all things

Prov 15:3/ Ps 139:7-10/ Job 34:22,21

God is not everywhere present, neither sees nor knows all

things

Gen 11:5/ Gen 18:20,21/ Gen 3:8

7. God knows the hearts of men

Acts 1:24/ Ps 139:2,3

God tries men to find o

4 minutes ago

ut what is in their heart

Deut 13:3/ Deut 8:2/ Gen 22:12

8. God is all powerful

Jer 32:27/ Matt 19:26

God is not all powerful

Judg 1:19

9. God is unchangeable

James 1:17/ Mal 3:6/ Ezek 24:14/ Num 23:19

God is changeable

Gen 6:6/ Jonah 3:10/ 1 Sam 2:30,31/ 2 Kings 20:1,4,5,6/

Ex 33:1,3,17,14

10. God is just and impartial

Ps 92:15/ Gen 18:25/ Deut 32:4/ Rom 2:11/ Ezek 18:25

God is unjust and partial

Gen 9:25/ Ex 20:5/ Rom 9:11-13/ Matt 13:12

11. God is the author of evil

Lam 3:38/ Jer 18:11/ Is 45:7/ Amos 3:6/ Ezek 20:25

God is not the author of evil

1 Cor 14:33/ Deut 32:4/ James 1:13

12. God gives freely to those who ask

James 1:5/ Luke 11:10

God withholds his blessings and prevents men from receiving

them

John 12:40/ Josh 11:20/ Is 63:17

13. God is to be found by those who seek him

4 minutes ago

Matt 7:8/ Prov 8:17

God is not to be found by those who seek him

Prov 1:28

14. God is warlike

Ex 15:3/ Is 51:15

God is peaceful

Rom 15:33/ 1 Cor 14:33

15. God is cruel, unmerciful, destructive, and ferocious

Jer 13:14/ Deut 7:16/ 1 Sam 15:2,3/ 1 Sam 6:19

God is kind, merciful, and good

James 5:11/ Lam 3:33/ 1 Chron 16:34/ Ezek 18:32/ Ps 145:9/

1 Tim 2:4/ 1 John 4:16/ Ps 25:8

16. God's anger is fierce and endures long

Num 32:13/ Num 25:4/ Jer 17:4

God's anger is slow and endures but for a minute

Ps 103:8/ Ps 30:5

17. God commands, approves of, and delights in burnt offerings,

sacrifices ,and holy days

Ex 29:36/ Lev 23:27/ Ex 29:18/ Lev 1:9

God disapproves of and has no pleasure in burnt offerings,

sacrifices, and holy days.

Jer 7:22/ Jer 6:20/ Ps 50:13,4/ Is 1:13,11,12

2 minutes ago

18. God accepts human sacrifices

2 Sam 21:8,9,14/ Gen 22:2/ Judg 11:30-32,34,38,39

God forbids human sacrifice

Deut 12:30,31

19. God tempts men

Gen 22:1/ 2 Sam 24:1/ Jer 20:7/ Matt 6:13

God tempts no man

James 1:13

20. God cannot lie

Heb 6:18

God lies by proxy; he sends forth lying spirits t deceive

2 Thes 2:11/ 1 Kings 22:23/ Ezek 14:9

21. Because of man's wickedness God destroys him

Gen 6:5,7

Because of man's wickedness God will not destroy him

Gen 8:21

22. God's attributes are revealed in his works.

Rom 1:20

God's attributes cannot be discovered

Job 11:7/ Is 40:28

23. There is but one God

Deut 6:4

There is a plurality of gods

Gen 1:26/ Gen 3:22/ Gen 18:1-3/ 1 John 5:7

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Bible, the Scriptures of the Old Testament and the New Testament, preserved for us in the Masoretic text (Old Testament) Textus Receptus (New Testament) and in the King James Bible, is verbally and plenarily inspired of God. It is the inspired, inerrant, infallible, and altogether authentic, accurate and authoritative Word of God, therefore the supreme and final authority in all things.

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." 2 Peter 1:20-21

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." Revelation 22:18-19

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." 2 Timothy 3:16-17

"...the word of God is not bound." 2 Timothy 2:9 Meaning, no copyrights are on it. The KJB is the only one in existed that has a Crown Copyright.

As God promised, He has preserved His word for the English people in the King James Bible. Proverbs 16:10 says, "A divine sentence is in the lips of the KING. . ." Ecclesiastes 8:4 says, "Where the word of a KING is, there is power . . ." King James. "James" is not an English word but a Hebrew word. Did you know the Hebrew word for James is Jacob! You'll never guess what Psalms 147:19 says, "He showeth His WORD unto JACOB..."

This also proves that the vatican had nothing to do with given us God's Holy Word.

"yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written," Romans 3:4

This can only be said for the King James Bible. The rest of them, NIV, TNIV, NASV, NRSV, NLT, NWT, NKJV, etc. are all base on man made opinions. These books have so many errors in them it's a wonder people even waste their time with them. But you can thank the vatican for that.

Up Date:

Weird Darryl, so are you telling us you know what is and what's not in heaven?

§nake§, I'll put it in a way that you can understand: Let's just say tomorrow morning you and I past away. Both of us find out that you are right. OK, so be it. What have I really lost? But if I'm right, what can you do to have a second chance at life to make up for your unbelief? What can you do to regain your soul?

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The bible is a collection of stories that an old king in England decided were the correct ones to include as "the Bible" and "the word of god" - whatever that is...

Does that sound infallible to you?

• 4 years ago

The king James Version is a mere language translation from Hebrew to old english, nothing more.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the only one that claims the bible is infallible are the bible pushers

abraham the schizophrenic and moses the murder,had no idea that

India and china even existed

both these cultures were worshiping god 5000 year before abraham.so how can the jewish view of life be infallible?

http://www.thebricktestament.com/

Source(s): OM
  • 1 decade ago

Clearly no.

However, it is generally futile having the argument with many Christians about it as they use circular logic to reinforce their beliefs.

In fact, most religions use these techniques.

When people want to believe, nothing can dissuade them.

Peace

• Jay
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I see your circular logic. However, it is flawed.

God is not infallible based on any book. God just IS infallible. God is perfection, and perfection is not flawed.

Thus, any book written (inspired) by God is infallible, as well.

There is a starting point to the logical flow, and that starting point is God.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.