Generic v. Brand Food....?

can you tell the difference? I can.

I'm giving you all thumbs up...don't know who the thumbs down troll is.

Favorite Answer

It really depends on the brands and the product. Some are very close in taste and are worth the savings. Other products aren't nearly as good. But often can be used in a casserole without a big taste difference.

• Judith

Well.. it's not just the chemical preservatives... but there are chemicals in those dog foods that are actually banned for use in human food because they are known carcinogens. There are some chemicals that may cause cancer or may not, but there are those that are known to actually cause cancer! BHT and BHA are two of them. They are in kibbles like pedigree. Those kibbles also contain meat (albeit a little bit of meat) which is unfit for human consumption and "thrown to the dogs". It can be meat from diseased, dying, dead animals, even roadkill! Also rendered fats and oils in those kibbles are from refuse restaurant grease. If anyone loves their pets they would never feed pedigree, iams, purina/beneful, science diet/hills, eukanuba and the like after knowning all that. Plus buying cheap disgusting unhealthy kibble doesn't pay in the long run. People who skimp on healthy food for their pets end up paying more in Vet bills. They also end up paying emotionally when their 8 or 9 year old dog is already about 14 years old with the health problems of a very very old dog. Also, there are good holistic kibbles which contain no chemical or artificial preservatives like Orijen.

• Depends. Some stuff matters and some doesn't. Try to fool a kid with that generic cereal and you are in for it. Best bet is to feed them nothing but generic from jump and then they have nothing to compare.

I like the generic mixed nuts over Planter's brand.

And to answer your question, yeah I can tell the difference usually. Sometimes the generic actually tastes better. Like I said it just depends.

i think they taste slightly different as well.

i rarely by 'generic' food. For certain things i will, but because i'm a vegetarian, most of the food i buy is brand. (and ridiculously expensive too). You'd be surprised at how many foods i have to weed out based on ingredients.

I rarely cook, as it's only me and well, you know about my eating habits.

I don't eat junkfood, (though with my food allergies i shouldn't anyways) though i will on a rare occasion buy a pint of Ben & Jerry's lol. *yummy*

:P

Yes, but for the most part, it's not significant enough to spend the MORE money on the brand-name. Finances are MORE important. Flavor can be boosted with proper spicing/herbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Brand,and yes i can tell the difference.

I just want to say when the peanut butter thingy happened wal-mart's peanut butter was produced by peter pan, so it also had to be pulled...........therefore all generic and brands are the same thing!!!!

well the government makes regulations on foods to be the same quality like, flour, sugar, salt and there's others but i don't remember so yes i can tell on somethings but on others its just a waste of money

I ahvent had the real thing in so long I wouldnt know...and I love move over butter

Heck yeah especially in honey and ketchup