Is it safe to use a 5 point harness on a child who is over 50 pounds but is only 40" tall?

The carseat says to remove harness after 40 pounds and use as a belt positioning booster. Is it harmful to keep the harness in and use it as long as he is comfortable?

Favorite Answer

The convertible car seat I have uses a 5 point harness up to 65 lbs. So it is possible to use a 5 point harness past 40 lbs!

wow, I never read the car seat manual I guess, my daughter is only 2 and she weighs 40 lbs. and is 39" tall and I still use the 5 point harness because I think she is safer that way, she is only 2, I have no scientific facts to offer but like you said, isn't it best to have the 5 point harness?? she does not mind it at all, I'll keep an eye in all of your answers. We were told to use a booster seat for our older by when he reached 45lbs, not 40 though.

• I think the plastic of the carseat is only rated to support up to 40 pounds. I would recommend switching to the booster. We just moved my 3 year old to the booster and she is much more comfortable and is very proud of being a "big girl" with her new seat.

Target had the best prices and the Graco Turbobooster is the highest safety ranked by Consumer Reports.

Good luck!

A five point harness is far safer than a booster, so I would see if you could get another five point harness with a higher weight limit.

Britax makes a good one...

Your child will be much safer if you follow the guidelines for the seat. The harness might not work properly in an accident if the child using it is more than ten pounds heavier than what it is designed to hold.

No, absolutely not safe some parents just want their kids to sit on the seat with a buckle across their lap and it's not safe a child has to be 60 lb's in order to go with out a car seat and it doesn't matter if a child is 3,4,5,and on if the child doesn't weigh 60 lb then the child needs to stay in a car seat plain and simple.

• Mandy

Yes, if the seat isn't made for it. (By yes I mean that it IS harmful)

There are seats with a 5pt harness that go to higher weights.

Use a booster seat!!

why dont you just use the booster seet it takes up less room

i don't think so, you might want to ask your doctor