Tire rotation?

Rotated them front to back at 9,000 miles , do you cross them and rotate again or just keep switching from front to rear at 18,000 miles? Small suv with all season tires

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There are a few different combinations of tire rotations you can do... I would check your manual to see what the manufacturer says... but otherwise any of these combinations are good:

http://www.discounttire.com/images/rotation.gif

I personally believe the first one, or "preferred" combination is the best choice.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hi.........NO, the proper way is to include the spare if it's full-size.

The left front goes to the right rear, the right front goes to the left rear or the spare can go on the right rear.. As long as all the tires match.. This will keep proper symmetry, the tires need to roll in the same direction.. Every tire gets a wear pattern which reflects that corner of the vehicle.. To retain that pattern we rotate to opposite sides of the vehicle in a "X" pattern..

Good Luck..

Source(s): Grandma was on heck of a tire marshal at Daytona speedway..
  • 1 decade ago

You're doing it right. The only acceptable way to rotate modern radial tires is front to back, no crossover. Anyone who tells you otherwise is giving you a line. Period. Your owner's manual should tell you this as well. For all you nimrods who say to cross them over, there are many tires that have directional tread in order to channel out water more effectively. These tires have arrows that indicate what direction they are to be installed. Crossing them over reverses their direction. Don't be stupid. Front to back only unless the TIRE manufacturer says otherwise. Not some dingbat on Yahoo! Answers.

• 1 decade ago

As long as your tires are not (directional) tires you should bring the rear tire straight front and crossover the front tires to the rear. you can a directional tire by an arrow indicating the direction on the tire sidewall these tires are only good for one direction and get rotated front to rear not crossing over at all

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I assume they are radials........always they need to be rotated front to back, and visa versa, and I would say you want to rotate at 5k, not 9k.........that will lead to cupping of the back wheels if you leave them on that long.

never cross rotate tires......that was only in the days, when tires were belted.

• Mike B
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Cross front left to rear right, right front to rear left, left rear to left front, right rear to right front.

If you have uni-directional tires (constructed to rotate in one direction only), front to back and back to front on same side.

• 1 decade ago

no ,that's too many times rotating

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.