To all: How many of you think that the "largest voting block" of voters in the US is based on values?

My niece, who is a freshman in college, and now knows everything that there is to know about everything, just INFORMED me that the "largest voting block in our country base their votes on values"...from my days in R&S, I disagreed with her. What do you think?

All answers appreciated! Have a great day.

Favorite Answer

There are only two things that motivate people... hope and fear, and fear is the easier of the two to exploit.

Voters are influenced by whomever offers them the best guarantee (in their minds) of less pain (freedom from fear) and more pleasure (hope for rewards.)

Why do you suppose they're planning to give rebate checks out with this insipid economic stimulus package. Economically, it's the most stupid thing you could possibly do to spur the economy. What they're hoping is that people will look forward to the upcoming check, and keep spending like frivolous idiots in the interim, thus keeping us out of a recession. The world is no different today then it was before the mortgage collapse. Wheat still grows the same, cars still get the same mileage, people still wear the same clothes. Nothing has actually changed but people's perceptions and fears. It's all about consumption. American's must consume the fruits of their labor, or it all comes to a screeching halt.

Well, it kind of makes sense; but only in the sense of WHAT a person values.

I mean for many, they value their jobs; their income and that motivates their voting.

Some value strong defense; others value good international relationships and so on.

But if she's basing it on moral values or religious ones, then I'd say no; they are not the "largest voting block."

I think that could be true. What other issue would have a bigger voting bloc? Economics? Health care?

A lot of people might vote based on economic policy, but they would not form a single bloc, because a lot of them would disagree with each other about what economic policy is best, i.e. small gov't, lower taxes; or higher taxes and more gov't benefits.

Whereas "values voters", basically, means people who support traditional Judeo-Christian moral values, and don't like to see them being eroded.

• Kate

The religious right is a HUGE voting block and they vote mainly on values, not economics. I don't know for a fact that it's the largest voting segment, but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Mr. E

It has been shown time and time again that no matter what the hot button issues are in a national election in the end the voters always vote their pocket book.

Easy

How did shrub get elected?

The largest voting block in america is the Christian right.

Why do you think that so many presidential potentials go to churches and not to science lectures?

Unless there are people out there who just throw a dice, everybody votes on values. Of course, everybody has different values.

There's values and then there's values. American elections are a popularity contest. Popularity is our value. So in that sense your niece is right.

If she's talking about ethical values you might ask her if ethics motivates the Bush administration.

I'm sure they do base their votes on their personal values.

Your values determine what issues are important to you, and the issues that are important to you determine which candidate you vote for.

Maybe, but who's values?