Why am I not considered a Veteran?

I WAS IN THE NATIONAL GUARD AND SERVED MY FULL 6 YEAR CONTRACT AND GOT AN HONORABLE DISCHARGE. WHEN I GOT HIRED AT MY STATE UNIVERSITY JOB I SHOWED THEM MY PAPER WORK AND WAS GIVEN 5 MILITARY POINTS ON MY EXAM. I JUST WENT TO APPLY FOR ANOTHER JOB AND THEY WOULD NOT GIVE ME VETERANS PREFERENCE BECAUSE THEY SAID IM... show more I WAS IN THE NATIONAL GUARD AND SERVED MY FULL 6 YEAR CONTRACT AND GOT AN HONORABLE DISCHARGE. WHEN I GOT HIRED AT MY STATE UNIVERSITY JOB I SHOWED THEM MY PAPER WORK AND WAS GIVEN 5 MILITARY POINTS ON MY EXAM. I JUST WENT TO APPLY FOR ANOTHER JOB AND THEY WOULD NOT GIVE ME VETERANS PREFERENCE BECAUSE THEY SAID IM NOT A VETERAN! I SERVED MY COUNTRY FOR SIX YEARS! WHY WOULD I BE THROWN IN A POOL OF APPLICANTS CONSIDERED JUST CIVILIANS WITH NO MILITARY SERVICE WHEN I SERVED 6 YEARS OF MILITARY SERVICE! IS THIS RIGHT? JUST BECAUSE I SERVED DURING A TIME WHEN MY UNIT WASNT ACTIVATED, I STILL SERVED! I WOULD HAVE GONE OVER IF MY UNIT WOULD HAVE BEEN ACTIVATED! THEY GAVE ME 3 EXTRA POINTS INSTEAD OF 5 SINCE I WASNT ACTIVATED WHICH I THINK IS FAIR BUT TO SAY IM NOT A VETERAN IS NOT RIGHT!
Update: thanks for the info, not trying to say i should be treated like active duty soldiers but i do think i should not be considered just a civilian either. by the way this is for a state job that im trying to get