Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

this astronomy stuff is soo complicated.?

can someone tell me the classes needed to become an astronomer?

how much paid?

how many years in college?

what degree is needed?

which colleges are helpful in NJ that will guide me through that degree? i heard i need PH.D, which college will help me get it in NJ?

will i have to switch colleges?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • eri
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Keep in mind that there really aren't a lot of jobs in astronomy if you don't have a PhD. And if you want to get a PhD in astronomy, you'll want to have a 4-year degree in physics. Astronomy is good, but physics is essential for getting into grad school for astronomy.

A PhD in physics / astronomy takes an average of 5-7 years. If you don't waste time and switch advisors, it takes 4-5. If you waste time, transfer universities, or switch fields, it takes longer. That's on top of the 4-year degree, so plan on about 10 years generically.

Graduate schools will pay you to attend - they pay your tuition and a small but livable stipend in return for you teaching labs and doing research. And you can defer any loans you took out during this period.

Astronomers with a PhD make somewhere between $60,000 and $120,000 depending on where you work and experience. It won't make you rich, but it's a great field to work in.

You typically don't do your graduate work at the same place you did your undergraduate work. You finish your 4-year degree, and then apply for masters or PhD programs. It's not transferring; it's applying all over again. Many colleges in NJ offer physics majors - Rutgers, Brown, NJIT, probably where ever you are.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

You will more than likely need to pursue a doctoral degree and a few years as a post-doc. It's a very intense field, and a lot of research is required.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.