Ed M asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 1 decade ago

what does it mean, dumb as a fox?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

never heard that one I think you mean sly as a fox/...

sw

• 4 years ago

Dumb Like A Fox

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Dumb As A Fox

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

That means the person is not stupid by a long shot. Is the type that will play dumb and make you think you got the best deal and in reality he takes advantage. Say for instance a man buys a car and he tells his wife he is going to fix it up for her, then he puts in a boom box and then gets his income tax return again the next year and says he wants to get something fixed on the car,then says he wonders "if "he should go to the dealer and have it fixed because he wants a warranty. Now the man has claimed all of the children on his taxes and the wife claimed non because she thought the husband would give her some of the money. In the long run the husband gets a Friend to fix the car and pockets the money.The wife doesn't get much on her return and what she gets she spends on the children. Meanwhile she never gets the car at all. He says it isn't ready. It needs work. yet he drives it for almost 2 years. therefore " he is dumb like a fox"

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

If you mean "Crazy ilke a fox" ,

This means doing something that seems counter-intuitive or crazy, that is part of a larger strategy. A typical example would be a ball team that plays a defensive game for most of the game and then applies an offense strategy toward the end of the game when the opposition is tired out.

When a fox is being chased by larger, slower carnivores, for example dogs, it will run in a circle until is gets a good lead over its pursuers. Then it will turn and run back along it's scent trail toward it's pursuers, veer off at a shallow angle and hide before it can be seen by the dogs. The dogs will continue following the stronger scent laid down by multiple passes and ignore the escape route.

Running toward someone chasing you seems crazy at first, but when it is used to hide an escape route, you see that it is really smart.

• 1 decade ago

Foxes are known for their slyness and the original saying is therefore 'sly as a fox'. The phrase 'dumb like a fox' is used when someone is asking something that sounds dumb or doing something that appears dumb where there is actually an underlying smart reason for the asking/doing.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what does it mean, dumb as a fox?

Source(s): dumb fox: https://shortly.im/rxpdm
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is a sarcastic allusion to the idiom,"sly like a fox", because foxes are usually thought of as cunning, smart, so the person who said this probably meant that whomever they were speaking of was smart.

• 1 decade ago

I've never heard that. I've heard "crazy like a fox" which means the person in question is actually sneaky, and not crazy at all.

• 1 decade ago

It really doesn't mean you are dumb, you are actually smart or cunning while appearing not to know what you are doing.

The fox is known for its cunning and crafty ways. That is where the cliche comes from.

• 1 decade ago

I have never heard that saying before but I have heard reference made to a person who is "sly as a fox."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.