Marlena R asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

I want to lose 30 lbs but am scared that using the machines in the gym will create muscle. what exercises help

I'm scared that if I use the strength training machines that it will build muscle in my arms and thighs instead of losing inches. Are there any specifics to avoiding this such as amount of weight or number of reps? I am 29, 160 lbs Female. Looking to lose 30 lbs. I used to weigh over 200... got down to 135 and back up to 160 - all without working out so a lot is flabby fat ECHK!!! Thanks!

Favorite Answer

I will state this in simple terms. I hate when people throw out all of these big words that the average person doesn't understand.

You will not gain muscle by simply "working out" with ANYTHING. Free weights, machines, running...it does not matter.

Building muscle is dependent upon several things. One of the most important parts of the process is supplying your muscles with enough calories to rebuild after a work out. The more the calories...the better chance your system will rebuild itself larger. If you do not supply your body with an abundance of calories, it CANNOT grow.

So, a proper diet with a good "strength training" work out will help you gain the look you are looking for. It will also allow you to strengthen your body. I especially recommend "core" building exercises. It will help stave off back problems, help your posture and burn the calories that you seek.

Have fun.

im a student of exercise physiology

to tell you the truth, its really hard for women to build muscle because of their hurmones so dont worry about it.

for loosing weight, the best way is cardio-respiratory sports which use fats for energy. so try what is say:

run for 20 minutes a day but dont rush your self. just a little heavier than jogging. if its hard to you, start with shorter intervals. for example 2 times of 10 minutes running.

drink a lot of liquids specially water.

take alot of vegs and fruits.

the key is this: dont hurry. the proper loosing weight is one 2 pounds per week and and grams more than this will loose from your body water and will return back prompt.

Source(s): exercise physiology- mc ardle

Muscles are good for burning body fat. I saw a demonstration on TV of a bucket full of sand, when you pour it out it has no shape, but if you pour water into the bucket before tipping it over, the sand will hold together in a defined shape. Muscles are like that water in sand. They give you tone and definition. So don't be afraid of weight bearing exercises. http://www.clearhealthandfitness.com/health-and-fi...

HAHAHAHA dont worry ur body will use the energy in your fat storage so the fat will go away. Also ur diet has a huge factor to this, try eating somethin which will increase ur metabolism. Also eat somethin with a lot of protein and less carbohydrates. I know it sounds stupid but generally if u dont do anything to the carbs they will just turn into fat.

• ?

Increase reps to 15 on machines. Muscle helps to burn fat, but you won't get bulky muscles.

Do a lot of cardio, Bike and walk.

Go out and do some cardio walk for 30 mins to an hour or if u can jog go and do that for 30 mins to an hour u will be suprised how much that helps.

building muscle WILL cause you to lose inches.

The muscle needs more calories to sustain itself and is wayyy more dense than fat.

A pound of fat is about three to four times as big as a pound of muscle; so mixing strength training with your cardio will work wonders.

ok dont go over board on lifting weights, choose this site to determine your caloric needs and what u need to be skinny and healthy..

http://www.superskinnyme.com/Weight_Loss_Calculato...

i really dont care if you dont look into the site well, but i highly recommend that.

Good Luck!