KIM-dobie owner asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

i just found a tick on my dog, PLEASE HELP!!!!!?

i just found a tick on my dog...the tick looked greyish, and the legs were black. i heard that a tick can swell up, and thats what it looked like it did, it was a bout the size of a pea maybe. so i tryed to get as deep as i could with a tweezers, and i pulled, and i think its head was black, i think the head was still in the skin, i tryed pulling and digging, and i think i got the head, BUT IM NOT SURE. i dont know if the head was trying to burrow in deeper as i was trying to get it, but i was wondering, if the head is still in the skin, can i apply frontline RIGHT NOW, and will the frontline kill it before it gets to the blood stream????? i need answers quick!! please! thank you.

i applyed the frontline plus. i also called the vet and asked if i could apply it as well...and he said yes, and that i pretty much have nothing to worry about...BUT i thought if the head stay in, that it can transmit diseases if it infected.

Favorite Answer

If you already pulled the tick off, clean the area with hydrogen peroxide. The head will not burrow further into the skin.

A brief lesson on ticks:

Ticks are found in shaded, woody areas with lots of undergrowth. Ticks come out of winter dormancy when the outside temperature gets to 45F. They hitch a ride on any passing animal. The tick starts chewing into the flesh, (they like warm areas - behind the ears, between the toes, behind the elbows). The tick buries its head in the skin and excretes a thick saliva which after a few hours will turn into 'cement' making sure the tick doesn't easily come out before finishing feeding. When removing a tick, you want to grasp the tick with tweezers right at the skin. DO NOT squeeze hard enough to squash the tick, but you do have to hold it firmly. Then give a good yank. If a chunk of skin comes off with the tick, this is good. That means you got the head too. Then clean with the peroxide.

The reason you don't want to squash the tick is because the Lyme spirochetes and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever are transmitted by the blood. The transmission occurs when the tick is finished feeding. The tick regurgitates some of its stomach contents which helps soften the 'cement' so it can get it's head out. The organisms that transmit the diseases are in that regurgitated material. As long as you don't squash the tick when pulling it out, there should be no disease transmission. If you are unsure that you got the head out, take your dog to the vet tomorrow. They can check to make sure everything is ok.

Source(s): Former Vet Tech

It's just a tick. Slow down and take a breath. Your baby will be fine. I use to work at a vet clinic and I've seen worse cases than this. As long as you got it off of your baby, they'll be fine.

Just keep applying frontline every month to help prevent this from happening again. Dogs will get ticks, it happens.

RE:

i just found a tick on my dog...the tick looked greyish, and the legs were black. i heard that a tick can swell up, and thats what it looked like it did, it was a bout the size of a pea maybe. so i tryed to get as deep as i could with a tweezers, and i pulled, and i think its head was black, i...

Dogs are one of the most common pets world wide. Because of this, it makes sense that there are many different dog training methods out there. Unfortunately, most of these training methods are less than ideal to use for your pet.

Because of all of these differing dog training methods out there, many new pet owners get confused which to follow and even start using methods that are highly inaccurate or counter-productive for their pets. This article will show you the top three dog training methods that you should avoid like the plague!

Method 1: Using Punishment as Training

You'd be surprised how many pet owners use punishment as their "bread and butter" for obedience training. Unfortunately, as with bread and butter, this is one of those dog training methods that is very "unhealthy" for both you and your pet.

Think about it. When you punish anything, whether it's a dog or a human being, you're using negative energy. It's like you're a dictator and your pet is your slave. This is a very negative relationship between both and will only lead to problems in the future.

You want to establish a positive, loving relationship with your dog. Punishment is NOT how to do it. There are much more effective training approaches out there that work much better.

Method 2: The "One Person in the House Trains the Dog" Method

I couldn't think of a more creative title so I just named it the most descriptive title! Basically this is one of those common dog training methods that people follow without even realizing it! Here's a common scenario:

There is one dog and multiple people in the house that play with, feed, and take care of the dog. Out of those many people, only one actually trains the dog to listen and obey them. The others merely play with the dog.

This dynamic is highly ineffective if you are serious about training your dog. The reason is that only one person training a dog, no matter how great their training skills are, will not get the dog to listen to everybody. The dog will realize that it needs to behave around one person, but know that the other people don't care. Dogs are smart! They know who the "dominant" people are and who they can get away with more "mischief" with.

I've seen this problem happen with many pet owners where they try really hard to train their pet but cannot achieve any results. The reason is often that while one person is trying to train their pet to not do one thing, the other people in the house are actually rewarding the very thing!

An example of this is when dogs jump on people. This is not good behavior and one person could be training them to stop this. At the same time, another family member may think it's cute and pet and cuddle them after they do this. What's a dog to think when different reactions happen with different people?

Method 3: Following No Dog Training Methods - Using Intuition

I know many pet owners that think that because they have children and successfully raised them that they can get their dog to listen to them as well! Aside from the big ego, this approach assumes that dogs learn exactly the same way that humans learn.

While this is true to some extent, dogs are dogs and people are people. Different approaches are needed for different animals. While they may be more subtle than training a giraffe, they are still there and have a big impact on the results you'll see.

It is important to understand exactly what you are teaching your pets to do and not to do. If you don't, you may very well end up doing things counter-productive.

The best solution to this is to pick up a book or go find some training course out there that has a depth of coverage on the topic.

Other Poor Methods of Approach

If you've been trying to train your dog for a few weeks now and haven't seen any real results then I'm pretty sure that you're following a "Method to Avoid" approach. While I only listed three methods, there are thousands of other approaches that don't work. Take the results that you are getting as a signal if you are using a good method or a poor one. If you haven't seen any good results from your approach, move on and try another one.

Before You Spend MORE Money On Expensive Dog Trainers or Products,

Watch This Video First!

https://bitly.im/KvTKV

Discover the powerful dog training secrets to eliminate over 30+ common behavioral dog and puppy issues with step-by-step instructions from one of the world's most skilled dog trainers!

It should be okay. When I took a tick off my dog, I couldn't really SEE the tick's head, cause they don't really have one, I guess. I could see the little pinchers that were in his skin as I pulled the tick out...if you got those, you got the head.

Ticks are not life-threatening. Give him a bath, put on some frontline, and all will be well.

• Diane

I'm doing basic obedience right now. My trainer hasn't once handled my dog. He has shown me how to handle my dog by using his own dog but that's about it. The reasoning is that I need to learn how to do these basic corrections and what not myself. Learn more https://tinyurl.im/zgaoh

I have never considered sending my dog away for training. I guess I haven't found that much of a problem with him to even think about it.

Again, it may also have to do with the level of training you are looking for etc. No idea lol. I'm not a trainer. I think a first time dog owner needs to learn simple commands and how to handle their dog themselves as well.

Hi!

You can buy tick removers from any good vets or pet shop. To remove the tick you have to turn it anti-clockwise, this ensures the head is removed as this is the part that is buried in the skin. If the head is not removed, it can cause infection.

I suggest you take the animal to your vets to ensure the head has been removed.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/QJfFI

Take him to the vets for a check up. You can also treat him with a spray that you put all over his coat and leave it on for 6months (I use Frontline for my doberman - Ive found it really good, he has no fleas or ticks living on him)

get dishwashing soap, like DAWN or JOY and put it on some toilet paper and wet it, and dab it on the spot, hold it there for like 10 seconds and let go. the tick should "back up" and rise to the surface so you can pull it off.

go ahead and apply the frontline to the back of the neck between the shoulder blades it will make sure the tick is dead within 24-48hrs.

you -might- want to check with a vet to make sure there is no chance of lyme disease, if thats common in your area.

The tick was swollen because it was full of blood. Apply the tick and flea treatment and relax.