The present heir to the British throne is The Prince Charles of Wales, he is the eldest son of Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom. Following him are his two sons Prince William and Prince Harry of Wales, who are second and third in line of succession to the British crown, respectively.
The line of succession to the British Throne is an ordered list of the people in line to succeed to the throne of the United Kingdom. The succession is regulated by the Act of Settlement 1701, which limits it to the heirs of the Electress Sophia of Hanover, as determined by male-preference primogeniture, religion, and legitimate birth:
- A person is always immediately followed in the succession by his or her own legitimate descendants (his or her "line"). Birth order and gender matter: older sons (and their lines) come before younger sons (and theirs); a person's sons (and their lines), irrespective of age, all come before his or her daughters (and their lines).
- The monarch must be a Protestant at time of accession, and enter into communion with the Church of England after accession.
- Anyone who is Roman Catholic, becomes Roman Catholic, or marries a Roman Catholic is permanently excluded from the succession.
- A person born to parents who are not married to each other at the time of birth is not included in the line of succession. The subsequent marriage of the parents does not alter this.
Current Immediate Royal Members In Line of Succession:
1. HRH The Prince of Wales (The Prince Charles; b. 1948), son of Queen Elizabeth II
2. HRH Prince William of Wales (b. 1982), son of The Prince of Wales
3. HRH Prince Henry of Wales (b. 1984), son of The Prince of Wales
4. HRH The Duke of York (The Prince Andrew; b. 1960), son of Queen Elizabeth II
5. HRH Princess Beatrice of York (b. 1988), daughter of The Duke of York
6. HRH Princess Eugenie of York (b. 1990), daughter of The Duke of York
7. HRH The Earl of Wessex (The Prince Edward; b. 1964), son of Queen Elizabeth II
8. James Windsor, Viscount Severn, (legally HRH Prince James of Wessex; b. 2007), son of The Earl of Wessex
9. Lady Louise Windsor (legally HRH Princess Louise of Wessex; b. 2003), daughter of The Earl of Wessex
10. HRH The Princess Royal (The Princess Anne; b. 1950), daughter of Queen Elizabeth II
11. Peter Phillips (b. 1977), son of The Princess Royal
12. Zara Phillips (b. 1981), daughter of The Princess Royal