Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

someone who has seen the movie "brokeback mountain" answer this question plzz?

okay i want someone to tell him [in detail] what happens in this movie. ive seen up until about the middle. and everyone says that it is such a great movie and i heard that the Jack dude dies...and oh lord just please explain this to me. remeber in DETAILSSS!! and dont tell me that they are queers, or that you dont like the movie. thanks! =]

r.i.p heath!!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Bryce
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I stole this from the IMDB. I apologize to whoever owns the copyright:

It's the summer of 1963. Two young men first meet when they find work sheep-herding on Brokeback Mountain, a fictional picturesque setting in Wyoming. Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) is nineteen, engaged to be married in the fall, and aspires to someday running his own ranch (following in the footsteps of his parents, who died in a car crash and left young Ennis and his brother and sister alone to fend for themselves.) Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhall) is about the same age and dreams of becoming the greatest rodeo cowboy alive. Both feel essentially alone in the world.

While sharing a cowboy's backbreaking work load, facing the toil and troubles of the weather, shortages of food and wild animal attacks, their working friendship eventually develops into something more... Breaking Joe Aguirre's (Randy Quaid) rule that one man must sleep with the sheep and one at the camp, on one night after an evening of heavy boozing and shooting the bull, they end up sharing the only tent, just to avoid freezing. The bitter cold leads to their sleeping spooned. Jack, who of the two seems more wired for attraction to other men, (and more conscious of his leanings,) initiates touching. Ennis, who is engaged to be married, seems truly naive with respect to Jack's intentions as well as his own responses, yet eventually responds to Jack, releasing his own loneliness, fear and pent-up rage into an almost violent physical passion. Over the summer the two increasingly give in to their passion for one another, building a life-long bond. Both men eventually come to acknowledge and understand the irrevocability of their bond, even if they do not both entirely accept it.

When the summer ends the men separate and continue with their lives. Ennis marries Alma (Michelle Williams) and has two daughters right off. Jack, by contrast, is still drawn to other men, and remains unmarried until he meets and has a son with feisty rodeo cowgirl Lureen Newsome (Anne Hathaway.) Lureen's father owns a bona fide money-making business selling farming machinery in Texas, but Jack is never accepted by Lureen's family. Searching for acceptance, approval, and unconditional love, Jack writes to Ennis. It has been four years since they met. They arrange to meet again.

When they finally do reunite in Wyoming, Ennis and Jack are overcome with emotion and passionately kiss. Ennis makes a weak attempt to be discreet, but the kiss is seen by Alma, who becomes sickened by it. The men and Alma are all piteous. From this point on Ennis and Jack's relationship rebuilds and develops ever more deeply. Alma becomes increasingly suspicious about the men's "fishing trips" up Brokeback Mountain (more stunning scenery,) and eventually Alma and Ennis divorce, with Alma getting custody of the children.

Jack shows up in Wyoming as soon as he hears the divorce is final, hoping to now be able to live a life ranching with Ennis. Ennis is torn, as he too longs for the idyllic life Jack describes, but he explains that if they live together they will be killed for being "queer." This leads to an arrangement whereby Jack drives from Texas to Wyoming three or four times a year, each meeting leading to another emotional separation. With Ennis struggling to make ends meet and becoming briefly involved with a pretty waitress, Ennis is able to meet less frequently. Jack visits Mexico looking to satisfy his physical needs. When he taunts Ennis with this information in an effort to make him jealous, Ennis replies " I wish I could quit you."

Ennis gets a postcard he'd sent to Jack returned with "deceased" marked across it. Jack is dead. He was thirty-nine years old. When Ennis contacts Jack's wife, Lureen, she lies about Jack's death, telling Ennis he was accidentally killed by a tire iron while changing a flat, when in fact Jack was killed for being "queer,"( just as Ennis had always said they would be if they lived together.) Lureen also tells Ennis that Jack wanted his ashes spread at his favourite place, Brokeback Mountain.

Ennis goes to visit Jack's childhood home, where Jack's father insists that Jack's ashes will be placed in the family burial plot. At Jack's mother's invitation Ennis visits Jack's room and sees two shirts, his and one of Jack's, worn by the two young men in the summer of 1963, and smeared with blood from a fight they'd had right before leaving Brokeback. The shirts hang together, tenderly spooned into one another on the same hanger - symbolically united in perpetuity. Ennis takes the shirts when he leaves.

After Jack's death, Ennis moves out of town into a small trailer - alone. The place is low, bare and poorly furnished. Ennis has nothing and no one. A visit from his daughter brings happy news and a sense of hope, as she is to be married. Ennis wants only to know if her boyfriend "really" loves her. She says he does, invites Ennis to the wedding and leaves. Ennis sits, beaten down by years of hard work and alcohol - weathered and aged, heart broken. With him - his and Jack's shirts, still entwined, and a postcard with a picture of Brokeback Mountain.

Tempting as it is to look at this film as a universal example of the repression of homosexual love , anti-gay sentiment in "macho" cowboy culture, or American culture in general, this story manages to transcend the stereotyping it naturally invites. This story is personal. It is, if nothing else, a unique story about a unique love (as all loves are:) about how love is limited by our attempts to define it; about choices and imperatives; and about the ineffable and indefinable forces which drive human beings to seek out and connect with one another... as well as the very real and irrevocable consequences of satisfying that yearning.

• 1 decade ago

Yes jack does die. Once he and his Bf are forced to got thier separate ways because of the lives they have with thier families they grew apart. But once they were able to see eachother again, they fell right back into the affair. Unfortunatley, the wife finds out but doesnt call them out. Then once they realize that what they have can't be (again) they separate. Jack wound up dying because some dude out of the blue beat to death with a tool. Then his death takes a toll on his bf but he goes on with his life.

I hope this was good enough for you.

• 1 decade ago

They continue their relationship then get mad at one another and then no contact, Jack visits the others parents and finds out the truth about him, and on the way home gets in a car crash.

• 1 decade ago

DANG HONEY...U WANT TO KNOW A LOT...LOL

I'M GONNA TRY TO GIVE U THE CLIFF NOTES VERSION WITHOUT LEAVING TOO MUCH OUT...HERE GOES...

well the two ended up working together on a sheep farm...at first they didnt get along and they were snapping @ each other...neither one of them acted like a femme at all ...that's why it was hard to believe that they could be attracted to one another...(that's my opinion anyway)...So, one rainy night, heath's character (forgot the name) was sleeping outside and jack came to get him and told him that he could share the tent with him, because it was raining soo bad...anyway, they slept for a little while and all of a sudden out of the blue, they were all over each other like ants on candy...(that scene shocked the hell out of me...lol)...anyway heath loved jack but he wanted to conform to society and everything...u know wife, kids, the whole nine yards...so heath married his long time sweetheart and had babies with her...jack ended up marrying some chick he met at a rodeo...and they both lived their lives with these women...5 years later they ended up coming into contact with each other again...jack came to heath's character's house as an old friend...heath's character's wife ended up seeing him and jack kissing outside..she kept everything bottled up and never let her husband know until years later that she knew that he and jack had something going on...anyway, heath's character and jack would take these long trips together at certain times of the year and call them fishing trips, but there was no fishing going on if u know what i mean...jack wanted to be with heath's character so badly...he wanted them to get a house together and live together as a couple, but heath's character did not want to live like that because he felt that it wouldnt be right in society (2 men living together on a farm)..so he pissed jack off by telling him that that was out of the question...jack then went off to mexico and started getting his kicks that way since he and heath's character had broken it off...then jack died...jack's wife also had figured out that her husband and heath's character had a fling going on and she could not bare to talk to heath's character after jack had passed away...then heath's character went to visit jack's mother and father and they practically knew how jack felt about heath's character...jack's mother gave heath's character one of jack's shirts so that he could have something of his...heath's character went back home and looked at the shirt, thought about jack and that was the end of the movie...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yeah he dies. he is found out about being gay by some people and they beat him to death. when the other guy finds out they tell him and a tire he was trying to fix blew up and killed him.

i thought this movie was superrr boring.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.