Sam
Sam asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Man made beer, God made pot?

...beer is legal, pot is not?

Best Answer

In my third and last career as a high school teacher, I often dealt with the DARE program, which was supposed to turn kids from drugs--DARE to Keep Kids off Drugs! (The kids changed it around to: Dare to Keep Cops off Donuts!) Time and again some bright 15 or 16 yr. old would bring up the questions: Why is alcohol legal when it causes so many deaths? Why are cigarettes legal?

I could understand why my fellow teachers couldn't answer this (I used to pooh-pooh the old one about those who can DO; those who can't TEACH, until I spent 8 years in the teachers' room listening to conversations about retirement and summer vacation! Never about kids and learning.), but even the cops had difficulty.

I was unpopular because I championed legalization. Compare if you will the crime rate between ANY American city and, say, Amsterdam where pot is quasi-legal (or Vancouver for that matter). But my basic reason is this: In a free market economy NOTHING that makes real money should ever be illegal. Why turn over the big bucks to organized crime.

America never learned the lesson of prohibition. Prohibition prohibits but it doesn't prevent.

Source(s): OMG, ignorant atheist, that's the funniest thing I've read all day. Why did no one else get it! facetiousness doesn't come off in this medium.

Nobody has ever died of not paying their taxes either. You're making a mistaken assumption that laws are all passed to protect us from death. This is not so (obviously), and if pot is a good thing because it's natural (God made it), then try smoking some poison oak and see what happens.

Very true! beer is a system to make and not everyone does it because of time or know how, so they make money on the is industry, Pot on the other hand just grows, easy for anyone to do! no money for the Gov.

Marketability

If pot was legal most of the neighborhood would be pot fields, not buying from stores

Exactly!!!! How many people get killed because of somebody driving high on weed? You never hear about somebody getting all baked and starting a fight or killing people!! Our laws are as dumb as the lawmakers. No matter how much this B.S. government tries to sell their propaganda on us-dont believe it. Weed is not a gateway drug. What really leads people to alcohol and drugs are things like stress. Wanna know what causes stress-taxes, no national health care system and illegal immigrants!! So all in all our crap government is to blame for addiction in America!!

not sure if I understand the question, but it raises a good point.

It is probably frowned upon because pot was used by pagans and alcohol has been a good old european tradition for centuries.

Well the reason why alcohol is legal is because its proven that it makes you heathlier in the long run with a certain amount; not the point of drunk or alcoholism. POT is actually worse...it can really kill you in the future. And can cause major psycological problems. Anybody..lk little kids and andyone else can grow weed in their house or w/e so the gov. made it illegal for everybody.

• Ozz

HAAHAAHAA!! Very good. We really have to abolish these draconian anti-drug laws and get rid of the Army of occupation -- the DEA.

• o

Say - La - Vee..lol...And I say to each his own..We all choose our own poison so to speak..But you are correctuhmoondoe..lol.. ;p ..It's all about the money , honey!

Source(s): Pot - legal when prescribed by your local Physician..lol..

pot is illegal because hemp production in the 20' and 30's threatened oil and textile industries in america that is the SOLE and ONLY reason MJ is still illegal today.