Acid Reflux...Feed After Throwing Up?

My 3 week old has just been diagnosed with Acid Reflux. After throwing up, he acts extremely hungry again. I don't know whether to feed him or not...Right now all we are doing is thickening his formula and sitting him upright most of the time and after every feeding, but he throws up a lot...all over the floor and everything. Any help!?

Favorite Answer

I had 2 reflux babies, my first was on Zantac and Gaviscon and the second was on Gaviscon infant. Your doctor really should prescribed some med's for you. A thickening formula is too heavy for his tummy and it really could give him some tummy cramps. Like my 2, once you get the right medication you will notice a difference overnight. Unfortunately our kids were not diagnoised early enough and my boy burnt a whole in his isofogas and my daughter did the same but got infected. So you did really well to get it diagnoised so soon. Great job Mum !! I would suggest that you go back to your doctor and ask him about the options for a mild dose of medication - it really helps and it doesn't harm the baby to have medication so soon - in fact it can prevent more serious problems with the reflux.

In terms of sleep, my boy could only sleep in a big baby swing, the angle was perfect for him. It's amazing how much laundry you suddenly have isn't it :-)

All the best !

1

Source(s): Eliminate Heartburn Pain Easily : http://HeartburnNoMore.duebq.com/?bOl

Firstly ask yourself if the cereal is doing any good at all, because there are potential risks. Current studies show thickened feeds don't work.

I would wait about 10-15 minutes then offer a small amount.

However if your baby is happy and growing properly medicating reflux is NOT worth the risk. Also take an oz of formula and drop it on the floor from shoulder height, you might be surprised how much an oz really is.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

Baby cereal, added to thicken breastmilk or formula, has been used as a treatment for GER for many years, but its use is controversial.

Does it work? Thickened feeds can reduce spitting up, but studies have not shown a decrease in reflux index scores (i.e., the “silent reflux” is still present). Per Donna Secker, MS, RD in Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease PDF, "The effect of thickened feedings may be more cosmetic (decreased regurgitation and increased postprandial sleeping) than beneficial." Thickened feeds have been associated with increased coughing after feedings, and may also decrease gastric emptying time and increase reflux episodes and aspiration. Note that rice cereal will not effectively thicken breastmilk due to the amylase (an enzyme that digests carbohydrates) naturally present in the breastmilk.

Is it healthy for baby? If you do thicken feeds, monitor baby’s intake since baby may take in less milk overall and thus decrease overall nutrient intake. There are a number of reasons to avoid introducing cereal and other solids early. There is evidence that the introduction of rice or gluten-containing cereals before 3 months of age increases baby's risk for type I diabetes. In addition, babies with GERD are more likely to need all their defenses against allergies, respiratory infections and ear infections – but studies show that early introduction of solids increases baby’s risk for all of these conditions.

My now 10week old use to projectile vomit when she was a few weeks old. We found that using a slower teat (if you can find one) and sitting her up for at least 10 minutes after a feed helped.

Also you could ask your doctor if it's ok to use a product like baby gaviscon (Aus) it's for things like acid reflux in babies and it's added to the babies milk.

If you have only just started adding the thickener to your babies bottle then you may notice a difference after a few days, like most remedies it won't happen overnight.

My son has acid reflux also......seems so common now days......I'd like to know what causes it! Anyways, he usually seems satisfied for a little while. Usually we feed him a few more ounces but not a full bottle within an hour or so. Most of the time he doesn't seem hungry again right away. We've started solids (of course this doesn't help you now) and it seems to help. I'm trying Dr. Browns bottles also and that seems to help too. I don't know why but if it works I'll do it!!

if your doc is the one that diagnosed it, they should have prescribed some Zantac for your baby. If what he expells is half of what he ate, it may not hurt to give him some more. Thickening the formula could make it worse though. At 3 weeks his tummy isn't ready to handle cereal. it is too complex. If your doc didn't write a RX, then call him back, and let him know how bad it is.

He really does not have acid reflux but just reflux disorder. I would really wait because if he continues to throw then he could get dehydrated. So if the doctor has recommended something else in the mean time to give then give it but if not, I would not.

my niece has the same problem. they have her on prevacid (acid reflux med). she was a premie and she has a feeding tube too because of her eating issues. but they also thicken her formula. i would ask about soy. could also help. my son had to have soy, he was throwing up and colicy. i also had to thicken his formula. i would ask about soy. our ped. suggested the nestle good start soy because it breaks down better. it did work for him.

• Stacey

You have the nerve to complain about him when you want to throw acid at him? With a brother like you, he needs no enemies!