Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 decade ago

What is the life span with someone with angelman syndrome?

How long will they live.

Is it deadly?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It is not deadly in and of itself; people with Angelman Syndrome can and often do have normal life spans.

• 3 years ago

Angelman Syndrome Life Expectancy

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Many medical sites say near normal. But despite the fact i have never in my life met someone with Angelman Syndrome because it is a rare condition, I have a great prespective of what someone with Angelman Syndrome would look like, it would be kind of like my Kanner (low Functioning) Autistic cousin but wrose plus lots of laughter, nonstop smiling, happiness, and oversocialization. I've heard that a person with servere to profound intellectual disability without Down Syndrome or accompanying health condtions has a life expectancy of 35 or 40 years, somewhere around that. My independent guess on the life expectancy for someone with Angelman Syndrome would like somewhere in the 60s. This is because they have epilepsy, which causes siezures that interfere with the brain and body functions and with Angelman siezures it a so servere that it might damage the brain and literally mess up the body. Also they have abnormal coordination physically which could also mess up vital body parts. But however, they laugh and smile alot and that has been shown to increase life expectacy. So Angels would live not as long as general healthy population people but better than people with only mental retardation or Down Syndrome.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is the life span with someone with angelman syndrome?

How long will they live.

Is it deadly?

Source(s): life span angelman syndrome: https://tr.im/9nXxE
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Janine
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Prior to birth, it is not possible to predict the symptoms that an individual with Down syndrome will develop. Some problems are present at birth, such as certain heart malformations. Others become apparent over time, such as epilepsy. These factors can contribute to a significantly shorter lifespan for people with Down syndrome. One study, carried out in the United States in 2002, showed an average lifespan of 49 years, with considerable variations between different ethnic and socio-economic groups.

• 1 decade ago

Angelman's syndrome is an autosomal recessive syndrome characterized by jerky puppet-like movements, frequent laughter, mental and motor retardation, a peculiar open-mouthed facial expression and seizures. It can be caused by a deletion on chromosome15 inherited from the mother:the same deletion inherited from the father causes Prader -Willi syndrome.

A recessive trait describes a gene that is masked or hidden if there is a dominant gene at the same location.

Source(s): Mosby's Medical, Nursing and Allied Health Dictionary.
  • arnaud
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Angelman Syndrome Life Span

• Anonymous
    4 years ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.