outlook express?

when I try to use outlook express while on the internet I get thrown off the internet. also how do I know what version of outlook I am using?

Favorite Answer

Hello -

Sounds like you probably have a certain setting checked on Outlook Express that will kick you off the Internet if you're using a dial-up connection.

I've had several clients with that problem.

Here's what you do. With Outlook Express open, click on the Send/Receive button, but you'll have to be quick. As soon as the window opens that says it's checking for new e-mail, hit the Cancel button. That window will stay open until you close it.

Now, on this window, look for the little check box that says "Hang Up after checking for mail", or something like that.

Even if you're in the middle of a download, and you open Outlook Express up to check messages, or even send a new message, that will disconnect you from the Internet.

As for checking what version of Outlook you're using, there's a couple of ways to check. Once you open Outlook Express, it'll say on the splash screen what version it is, or if Outlook Express is already open, then go to the menu bar (file, edit, view, etc.) and click on Help, then About.

If your computer is XP, and you're up-to-date with your Windows updates, then you're running version 6.

Good luck! Hope this helps!

Source(s): Microsoft Certified Tech w/ 13+ Years of Experience
  • EJU

I don't know why you get thrown off, but to check version at the top click help then About Outlook Express

If via default you mean which you fairly desire it to open from IE 6 once you click the e-mail button, that's comprehensive in IE: internet techniques>classes tab... Why might you desire to? Outlook is extra comprehensive featured and additionally oftentimes extra effective secure via email antivirus scanners than is convey because of the way that convey handles mail attachments...