QUINCY JONES... a forefather of Hip-Hop?

it's funny that when speaking of innovators and influential producers in Hip-Hop here on the RHH section.. I have never heard Quincy Jones mentioned.. (i myself am even guilty of overlooking him before, until my pops brought it to my attention)

is QUINCY JONES the SPIKE LEE of hip-hop music? if not, how would you compare his contribution?

Favorite Answer

Man....Quincy Jones...how do we even began to apologize for NEVER touching on him. WOW....I am in the same boat as you...I failed to even mention his name in any of my answers. He is indeed a forefather of hip hop. And because of this question...I will go back and refresh myself on his importance...I have gotten so caught up in remembering the other more obvious answers that I rarely stopped to think about his contributions. I feel Quincy Jones being forefather of Hip Hop is not even giving justice to what he brought to the MUSIC world in general. Quincy had a major impact on music as a whole. Great question as usual....but to the youngsters who dont know anything about Quincy....just think Thriller.....that was as much of him as it was Michael...amazing man....musically gifted...a living legend

forefather of hip-hop he is. He's one of the most prominent and accomplished entertainer in America. Quincy jones is the god father of jazz. Quincy,since his youth as a jazz prodigy, has become legendary as a musician, composer, arranger, producer, publisher, humanitarian, multimedia whiz, and all-around megamogul.

QJ:Believe it honey, the roots of hip-hop. The rappers may not realize how deep the roots are with the griots from West Africa, who were like oral historians, and with the imbongi, who were the praise-shouters. [It's said] every time a griot dies, another library burns to the ground. It's nice to know that all those roots are connected. I've tried so hard to keep them together so [the culture] isn't considered disposable, whether it's Duke Ellington or the poems of Melle Mel.

QJ: And vice versa, to introduce the hip-hop people to the other people. Last time [on Back on the Block, 1989], Big Daddy Kane was introduced to Miles [Davis], Dizzy [Gillespie], Sarah, and Ella Fitzgerald. I really loved that. I was really proud, too. Dinah could have been a hip-hop person.

i would say he is more of a jazz and blues man.

confident i think of he does. he's performed plenty for hip hop and has probably inspired the final sound of hip hop better than the different producer. And why evaluate him to Primo? Why can no longer the two get a life-time fulfillment award?

Check out some of Curtis Mayfield's stuff. Those beats have been replicated alot. Kanye West's "touch the sky" was a Curtis Mayfield beat(with the horns too)

He was a great contributor to one of my favorite shows of all time.

Source(s): Fresh Prince Of Bel Air.

hmmmm, good question. i dont have teh answer but i'lll give it a star