I am swapping engines with a 2007 Sportster XL 883 EFI engine, does anyone have experience wiht this?

I am putting a 2007 Harley Sportster XL883 with EFI into my custom chopper. Will I need to recalibrate the computer for the EFI? Will it need to be re-timed? Maybe I am making this more difficult than it actually is, but I am guessing with the amount of electronics present, that it is more complicated than simply moving the engine from the original bike to my chopper, turning the ignition, and drive away?

I will probably have a different exhaust system than originally from the factory. Also, I purchased the engine separate from the wiring harness/computer/etc. so will it need anything more than connecting the wires?

This is a budget build. I purchased a 07 XL883 engine very cheap and I am planning on building the entire chopper for about $5k. I'm not done yet, but I expect to keep it around this amount.

Favorite Answer

Stick it in, fire it up and ride.

The only reason you would have to re-map is an exhaust and or air filter change.

**** If the engine has already been in a bike and run, the timing has already been set.

If you run an aftermarket exhaust ,you will probably have to re-map by means of a "Power Commander" a "Vance and Hines Fuel Pak" or some other performance module.

There really aren't that many connections from the harness to the engine:

Oxygen sensor

TPS

oil pressure sender

power to ignition (and maybe a tach wire)

Alternator/rectifier

starter relay

90% of the wiring is non-engine,I.E lights ,gauges,switches etc.

Do you have a "Power Commander" for your engine? Or access to a Dynomometer ( Dyno) ? That was actually created as a tuning tool, and not to only display power ratings. Using an exhaust gas anilyser (goes in the tail pipe of the running engine) you can use the readings to see "lean/rich" conditions that can be harmful to engines, and when mixed with your handy laptop and power commander, you can adjust the fuel/air maps (pre-set ratios installed in the software that came with the commander) and you can adjust the spark advance, ect. with the same stuff, at the same time. To answer your question now, you should get a "base" reading to start with once you're able to ride it, and adjust from there. Then add the pipes, 1200cc big bore kit, or other things you do. Which the 883 heads seem to be more efficient, better cooling heads than the 1200's in my experience. That helps performance and longevity of any engine, as I think most of us know. If you change the fuel/air ratio then you will usually have to adjust spark advance. Anytime you change something on your engine that increases or decreases flow through the engine, you should re-map it to prevent damage. What equipment do you have for your sportster engine? Are you going with a high flow air filter system? You should if you go w higher flowing pipes to make the most of its performance. You can sometimes find a qualified tech at swap meets who has his/her own dyno set up and will charge a small fee for 2 dyno runs, and should be able to do the adjustments for you to your liking, but you will need to trailer the bike there to not blow it up. If you have additional info, or questions for me, then feel free to e-mail me personally. Make certain that everything fits (plugs and locations) before you decide to use it. A lot of times, after market, or non-factory parts that were oem on another bike may have fitment issues that need to be addressed. I sincerely hope this helped a fellow rider (or female. IDK you personally, so dnt be offended.) Thanks. Also, you could go on "myspace". Yeah. It can be useful. And search for people who have a custom shop, such as "clarks custom cycles" or schools that teach such classes. They will some times have the students gain experience under the watchful eye of a competent instructor with only a small "lab fee" of $20-$30 plus you buy any parts you need and did not bring.

Source(s): Experience

You have 2 choices with your build,

1. go back to the person you bought the motor from and get the wiring harness, ECM, and TSM and hook it up and go.

2. get a after market wiring harness get a ICM, TSM, carb, and a intake manifold, wire it all together and go.

Source(s): HD Tech
  • nothing personal, i mean i ride a 1200 sporty myself, but do you really think an 883 is a good choice for an expensive project like a custom build?

You need to check your connections again paying attention to plug connector 30B where it goes into TSM/TSSM/HFSM.This is conected to the VSS - vehicle speed sensor.As this is powered and monitored by the ECM - electronic control module it will play up if not connected properly or the VSS is faulty.If in doubt have your dealer check it.

if your not messin with the exhaust or intake stick it in fire it up and ride. any aftermarket exhaust or intake will come with detailed instructions.