S asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 decade ago

Where to find free/cheap Consumer Reports?

I'm looking at buying a 2004 Dodge Neon with a little over 35K miles on it and want to see what the consumer reports say (and willing to take any CONSTRUCTIVE comments people might have... please leave the "Dodge Sucks" comments off folks).

I was looking for any online, since I'm going to test drive tonight, but thanks for the Library suggestions too.

Favorite Answer

Consumer Reports is NOT a good source for automotive information.

They have a long and proud history of completely missing the point of various sorts of cars. Their "expected reliability" is apparently based on the track record of the manufacturer, because they actually have "expected reliability" for new models. That might be fair for Honda (who haven't produced a bad car in my lifetime) but it isn't for Chrysler, Ford, and GM (whose reliability has been all over the map).

I'd start here:

http://carsurvey.org/model_Dodge_Neon.html

Consumer reports is for refrigerators.

I've never seen consumer reports for free online.

However, my favorite source for car research is edmunds.com:

http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/neon/2004/index.html

(try epinions.com as a secondary source)

There, you should find both a professional review and numerous customer reviews. From what I've always heard, Dodge vehicles have reliability issues. So, I would recommend clicking maintenance on the left side to see if there are any recalls or many technical service bulletins. Your best tool is probably consumer reviews.

As you're probably aware, you can't go wrong with a Toyota or Honda (especially in the reliability area). If I were purchasing in your price range, it would definitely be one of those two brands.

Go to your local public Library. They all have the Consumer Reports magazines that you can look at for free.

Go to SearchAutoReviews.com, search "2004 Dodge Neon review", you will find a lot of experts' and consumers' reviews. Here is the link:

http://searchautoreviews.com/results.html?cx=00661...

I loved my Neon. If you can't get the info on-line try contacting the magazine company and asking about back issues. You might also try your local library.

Check book stores as well. They will have more current information than libraries, and you can usually just sit in the store and read them rather than buy them.

Consumer Reports information is valuable to many people, therefore they charge money to access it.