Smoking ban in Greece - will it ever happen?

I live on a Greek island and have a 3 month old baby. I can't take her anywhere because in every cafe, resturant and shop people smoke. People smoke in the bank, the IKA offices, at cafes with a childrens play area, even the paediatrician smokes in his office. I was a smoker before I was pregnant, but had... show more I live on a Greek island and have a 3 month old baby. I can't take her anywhere because in every cafe, resturant and shop people smoke. People smoke in the bank, the IKA offices, at cafes with a childrens play area, even the paediatrician smokes in his office. I was a smoker before I was pregnant, but had the common sense to stop and I would never smoke near children or babies.

I won't go to weddings or any other social occasions with my baby as I know we will have to endure tens of people smoking around us. Why is Greece so far behind the rest of Europe when it comes to things like this?

Will there ever be a ban on smoking in public places in Greece? Does anyone have any info
Update: The local politicians all smoke, they all seem to still think smoking is big and clever here.
Update 2: Asimenia - I agree the biggest annoyance is smoking in the children's play areas, they have just opened a lovely new cafe with a huge play area inside (like a Charlie Chalk thing) but people are allowed to smoke. My worst experience so far was having smoke deliberatley blown in my face when I asked someone to... show more Asimenia - I agree the biggest annoyance is smoking in the children's play areas, they have just opened a lovely new cafe with a huge play area inside (like a Charlie Chalk thing) but people are allowed to smoke. My worst experience so far was having smoke deliberatley blown in my face when I asked someone to stop smoking in a shop (this shop DID have no smoking signes up), I was 8 months pregnant.
Update 3: Hilmar, I have indeed heard said expression, I will start smoking tomorrow as I have no mind of my own......... Have you heard of passive smoking? I smoked for 21 years, and would never smoke near a pregnant woman, child or baby OR anyone who didn't like smoking. Unfortunately there are still so many... show more Hilmar, I have indeed heard said expression, I will start smoking tomorrow as I have no mind of my own.........

Have you heard of passive smoking? I smoked for 21 years, and would never smoke near a pregnant woman, child or baby OR anyone who didn't like smoking. Unfortunately there are still so many selfish smokers who think its OK to put other people, even babies, at risk from serious illness, this attitude disgusts me.
Update 4: Yanto, I'm from South Wales originally and was still a smoker last time I visited, we had no problem going outside to smoke, we did get some nasty looks from people though, smoking is almost taboo in the UK now!!
Update 5: Fullofwonder, there may be something in Force in mainland but there is no ban where I live, in fact there are not really any laws at all! You can do pretty much anything here as long as you know someone in the local police, corruption is rife.
Update 6: gilljansen, staying away from places where people smoke would mean staying in my house all day!! The peple who work in government offices need to set a precendent and STOP smoking in the workplace!
Update 7: Living in Greece and holidaying in Greece are two totally different ball games.
Update 8: Kelly my husband is Greek and he still smokes depsite me holding up our baby girl infront of him and telling him to give up for her!! he has to go outside to smoke and it's absolutely freezing here at the moment!! I make him brush his teeth and wash his hands constantly as he stinks. A friend of ours who is... show more Kelly my husband is Greek and he still smokes depsite me holding up our baby girl infront of him and telling him to give up for her!! he has to go outside to smoke and it's absolutely freezing here at the moment!! I make him brush his teeth and wash his hands constantly as he stinks. A friend of ours who is a smoker came to visit the other day and put his yellow fingers all over my baby's face and mouth, I just wish people would have more common sense!! Children need to be educated in schools about the ills of smoking, but as most of their fathers smoke, they all think it's dead cool, it's so, so sad.