claire d asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Can fish hear?

I have a fish tank in my liveing room,and when I go past it with the hover, the noise makes the fish jump. Is this because they can hear the sound or is it just the vibrations of the noise in the water?

Favorite Answer

Yes, fishes can hear, but hearing abilities vary among species.

Hearing in fishes involves the sensory chambers of the inner ear. Each chamber is lined with sensory hair cells and contains an otolith (ear stone).

When sound vibrations pass through a fish, the differences in vibrations between the dense otoliths and the sensory hair cells is detected by the auditory nerves.

In some fishes the swim bladder aids in hearing by transmitting vibrations to the inner ear.

This function is enhanced in many freshwater fishes (such as Carp) by the Weberinan ossicles, a series of small bones that connect the front of the swim bladder to the inner ear.

Recent research at the Popper Lab has shown that the American Shad, Alosa sapidissima (a species of herring, Family Clupeidae) can detect ultrasound at frequencies higher than any other animal including bats.

Related links

Deep-sea fish croaks for love - Nature website

Further reading

Helfman, G.S., Collette, B.B. & D.E. Facey. 1997. The Diversity of Fishes. Blackwell Science. Pp. 528.

Leis, J.M., B.M. Carson-Ewart and D.H. Cato. 2002. Sound detection in situ by the larvae of a coral-reef damselfish (Pomacentridae). Marine Ecology Progress Series. 232: 259-268.

Jackson, K.L. 2001. The Inner Ear Ichthyology Web Resources.

Popper, A.N. 2003. Effects of Anthropogenic Sounds on Fishes. Fisheries. 28(10): 24-31.

• lohr

Do Fish Hear

Can Fish Hear

• Ellen

Loud Noise Can Injure Fish Hearing

Yes, fish can hear, but they seldom gossip so you can have a fish tank in your bedroom without having great concerns. Also, fish think we humans are over 9' tall as the water and the glass of their fish tank magnifies and fish know little to nothing about about refraction.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can fish hear?

Source(s): fish hear: https://shortly.im/w70pH

just like you feel the rumble of thunder. You felt sound vibrations. Fish hear and feel vibrations moving through the water. fish dont have ear openings on the outside but they do have ears THEY CAN HEAR A WORM WRIGGLING AT THE BOTTOM OF A LAKE!! because fish hear so well just a little sound can scare them talking is fine but sound vibrations like your hover will scare them as it is transmitted through the water. hope this helps :)

I've noticed that. They don't seem too bothered about other noises but when the vacuum cleaner was on near them they went ballistic, I thought the bala sharks were going to have an epileptic fit they were twitching that much!

It's not because they can hear it's because they are picking up on vibration through the water. The reason people tell you not to tap on the tank is because of the viration. THATS ALL.

Source(s): I have a 4' tropical marine tank and work with fish

yes, they have external ears. and they can hear more accurately then humans. loud music can damage their ears. so be careful not to make loud noise near the fish tank