Difference between Korean and Japanese food as apposed to Chinese food?

I love Chinese food and me and my friends are going down to the local Korean /Japanese restaurant tomorrow. Whats Korean/Japanese food like?

Best Answer

Well, Korean food - generally speaking - you'll pretty much always have a variety of side dishes - which include picked spicy cabbage (kimchi), salted small fishes, other salted or picked vegetables, and of course, rice. You'll find a lot of soups and stews in Korean cuisine, which is not surprising given its cold climate - very enjoyable.

-Some of the major dishes include:

-grilled meats such as sliced, marinated beef (bulgogi), beef short ribs (kalbi)

-Ginseng chicken soup stew (samgyetang)

-Kalbi tang (beef short ribs soup - usually not spicy)

-fried egg/leek pancake

-tofu stew (soontofu) - can have some minced or ground pork, mushrooms, or seafood in it - very filling, nutritious

-Bibimbap -rice bowl with vegetables, some beef strips, fried egg, and red pepper paste on top

-Mandokuk-pork/leek dumplings in soup, similar to Chinese shuijiao, but flavoring is different.

Generally, the food is pretty spicy - major key flavorings and ingridients include garlic, green onion, chili paste, sesame oil, capsicum, etc. Contrast this with most Japanese food, which tends to be milder in flavor. Korean food seems to have less seafood offerings than Japanese. Chinese cuisine has many regional variations so it's harder to generalize.

To the Western eye and palate, Korean cuisine and Japanese cuisine are very similar and interchangeable. Korea and Japan are neighbors and both have long coastlines. The ingredients and climate are pretty much the same...muck like, say Italy and France. Therefore, their cuisines have much in common. Both Korea and Japan use a lot of fish in their diets. And of course, rice being the main staple. They also both have a rich history of noodle (pasta) making. The main difference between the two is the spiciness of the dishes and recipes they prepare. Korean food is very spicy ! Heavy on the seasonings and the dishes have real personalities and zest ! They also can be quite hot !c Japanese food on the other hand tends to be much more subtle and mild in flavors and far less savory. Many of the dishes can look very similar, but have different tastes and flavor components. Japanese cuisine in America is more popular and almost "mainstream" in most major cities. This is true particularly for Sushi. However, I prefer Korean cuisine. More savory and richer in side dishes, sauces and varieties of vegetables. Sadly, Korean food can be difficult to find in the U.S. outside of a major city like New York and a "Little Korea" neighborhood. It certainly is not "mainstream" as an Asian cuisine option. Still, it is quite delicious, savory, a simple and hearty cuisine with plenty of fish, meat, rice, sides and vegetables. Perhaps the best known being their famous "Kimchi." A super savory and fermented raw cabbage and veggie salad that is unique and fabulous !

• ullery

Different Japanese Foods

• Susan

There are lots and lots of differences. Keep in mind that China has at least 8 different cuisines so while the foods in northern coastal China have similarities such as the use of wasabi and lots of seafood, in the western part they use mostly lamb and eat noodles. Its hard to do a true comparison but I'll try. - Raw vs cooked - Traditionally Chinese distinguished themselves from other cultures by saying they had mastered fire, and thus had quite a taboo on raw food for most of Chinese history. Japanese clearly like raw foods. - Role of visual aesthetic - While both cultures care about color and appearance, Japanese will consider a dish good sometimes almost solely based on how visually pleasing it is. - Rice - Japanese rice is shorter grain and stickier. Northern Chinese rice is also short grain, but in general Chinese use longer less sticky grains. - Spice - China has some very spicy cuisines such as Sichuan and Hunan. There are few very spicy dishes in Japan. - Influences - China was a huge part of Silk Road and had lots of influences from other countries. There is still a lot of Muslim influence in many parts of Chinese cooking. Japan has incorporated more modern gourmet food from the West in recent history. - Tea - Japanese green tea tends to be steamed while Chinese green is often roasted in the production process so they have very different flavors sometimes. - Alcohol - Japanese sake tends to be less strong then Chinese rice wines. Chinese rice wines fill up the whole room with a strong odor and are as high as 90 proof.

• well just a reminder Chinese food in America aren't really chinese food that chinese eat in china

American Chinese food are made to fit American's taste

(whoa too much china)

However Korean and Japanese food in America are similar or same as their real food

I never had real chinese chinese food but

I think CHinese food are more greasier or grilled than both.

Korean food are spicy hot, and good

Japanese however is not spicy or hot and still good

usually miso soup and fish

• mrfroo

It is different sauces, really. Japanese food is not as sweet or spicy as Chinese food, despite similarities. Korean food uses more fish sauce. I recommend Teriyaki anything, if you're a chinese food fan. Yaki Soba is pretty good, as well.

I lived in Hong Kong and Japan for five years and my husband is Korean so I've tried all three.

In Japan they go for delicate flavours as in sushi and seafood in batter (apart from wasabi and terriyaki of course)

Korean is spicy. Their specialty is kimchi. Any Korean restaurant serves that as a matter of course regardless of what you order. Try Bulgogi if you get the chance.

In China there are many variations because it is so vast. Dim sum is popular where I lived.

OMG, If you haven't had Korean food yet you don't know what your missing. It is much better then Chinese.

Order Garbeie

• April Lee6 years agoReport

It's true that Korean food is so much better than Chinese!
      I'm Korean thanks for loving my culture's food!

They are pretty much alike except their own signature spices, as well as some of preparing techniques used differently and distinctively

i agree with free. korean food is soooo good.. if its your first time, ask what they'd recommend.

korean >japanese