Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why isn't anyone being critical of McCain's Legacy Entry into the Naval Academy?

Like most schools, there are "legacy" slots there. He graduated 5th from the bottom. Everyone would have been aware of his family's standing in the Navy. Why no complaints that he relied on legacy and rank to get into Annapolis?

Being a POW doesn't have much of anything to do with a man's intelligence. BTW, I do like McCain, I'm just asking why it's never been an issue if we're talking about fair entry into elite schools.

Favorite Answer

You mean because his father and grandfather were admirals. Makes more sense than sending someone because their senator owned his/her family a favor.

BTW. George B. McClellan graduated second from West Point and look how well he turned out. In addition, William Halsey, Jr. was also the son of an admiral and got into Annapolis the same way. Halsey did not excel at the academy, but became one of the best fighting admirals in the history of the United States Navy.

>Yes, McCain was a POW for five years. He was nearly killed when he was shot down over North Vietnam. Before that, he barely escaped from a burning plane onboard USS Forrestal. BTW. Susan Donahue, he was not landing the aircraft. It was sitting on the deck when the fire broke out. Ask any sailor and they can tell you about the Forrestal fire.

Source(s): USN/USNR

Are you trying to say the Naval Academy is a second class school? If so, you have a lot to learn. It may not be considered Ivy League, but it's still a big deal and honor to attend. As for McCain, noticed he's from a line of career military men? Make since he'd follow the path.

Probably because he was actually sent into harms way unlike most of the people who do face criticism.

And his status of a POW does have a lot to do with it.

Because if he was never a POW and never faced any of that, he would be getting thrashed about it.

McCain

"Very interesting. I have also heard, but don't know how to confirm, that he landed a burning plane on the deck of a carrier, endangering the lives of naval personnel. People keep telling me he was a hero, but that does not sound heroic to me."

Please do comment on what you know, not what you have heard. You have a powerful instrument in front of you. Use it to get to the truth!

I am not voting for him but I do respect and appreciate what he did and the way he did it.

Because nobody cares. We spend so much time talking about stupid crap like this, and the real issues never get talked about.

Thats why things are so screwed up in this country. There are more questions on this forum about Obama's middle name and race than there are about any of his positions.

Very interesting. I have also heard, but don't know how to confirm, that he landed a burning plane on the deck of a carrier, endangering the lives of naval personnel. People keep telling me he was a hero, but that does not sound heroic to me.

2008 says it all.

Five years in the Hanoi Hilton pretty much overshadows that, don't you think?

because what does it really matter what war he fought in and what rank?

isn't that how bush got into Yale with a 91 I.Q. ?