Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Did you think Ellen Page aka "Juno" is annoying?

The concept of that movie was kinda cool, but the lead actress, Ellen Page who played Juno got on my nerves really bad. On top of that movie trying way too hard to be Napoleon Dynomite, her sub-par acting was enough to make me walk out and I left me feeling I wasted my money. She tried to act like a guy, or like she was a "not-your-typical-girl" girl, which is counterproductive to the point of the movie. I understand the wordly attidude was suppose to express the mindset of a teenager, but she seriously missed the target and destroyed what could have been a good flick.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

She was absolutely annoying. But I don't really blame Ellen, since the character was really a reflection of Diablo Cody, the writer. Juno's character throughout the entire movie just seemed like she was constantly trying to prove how "eclectic" she was, and it really made her seem like just another one of those teenage girls who pride themselves on being artsy.

So although I loved the movie itself, I couldn't stand Juno as a character.

EDIT - And by looking at most of your flamers, they seem to fit into the demographic I previously mentioned, so I wouldn't quite take their opinions as critics seriously.

EDIT II - To Myst's comment: Have you seen her in the third X-Men film? She made me dislike Shadow Cat. I don't dispute the fact that Ellen isn't the best actress out there, but Hard Candy had a similar atmosphere to Juno as I recall. Sometimes actors and actresses are more sought after for roles that they had basically already portrayed. So she's probably going to end up being another one of those typecasted actors that can't really show dynamic acting abilities anyway.

• 4 years ago

Contrary to popular belief this usage is not lazy or indecent nor is it as recent as many of you seem to think. At least as far back as the time of the American Revolution pls or plz was used in place of please in correspondence , again after the introduction of the telegraph, and most recently with the advent of text messaging, and all for the same reason, cost. During the early days of our country both paper and ink were expensive, so there were accepted methods of abbreviation to cram as much information into a letter as possible pls (or plz) was one example of this. When sending telegrams you were charged by the word (as in typing every 5 characters not actual words) so once again pls was used (among many other shortcuts u for you and so on) to make the sending of a message as cost effective as possible. As for text messaging, when first introduced, you may recall, we were charged per message we sent, so cutting letters out of messages meant a single text could be sent instead of two. It became a habit that carried over onto the internet, even though the need for the abbreviation no long exists,,,,to be fair though I am fairly sure you type OK or okay instead of Orl Korrekt which is the widely accepted original phrase the abbreviation came from, so can you really cast stones?

• Matt G
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Sorry Kati, I disagree. I thought Ellen Page was a good actress and did justification to the role of Juno. I thought it was a great movie. And though I would not want my daughter to become pregnant at age 16, I would hope my daughter exemplifies some of the characteristics of the character Juno - especially a sense of a humor and a willingness to go against the grain.

Actually listening to the soundtrack right now. I am usually a guy who likes much harder rock, but this is a great soundtrack!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I liked it, i myself didn't really find her character annoying per-say though. Sometimes she would act older than she should in movies like Hard Candy but even that movie was supposed to make her smarter than what the average teenager is seen as. It was kind of odd in the very beginning but it got better afterwards.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

I do not consider that's correct

• 1 decade ago

i actually like the movie. didnt really get the point but movies dont have 2 have a point they are there to entertain... and i saw her in hard candy and xmen 3:the last stand and loved both of them! so i have to disagree with u!

• Mike G
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Yeah, it took about 10 minutes to get into the groove of the movie, Juno's personality, and the dialogue. After that, it was fine and I really enjoyed it.

I disagree that she was trying intentionally not to act like a "typical girl" -- most girls I've met act more like her than other teenage girls I've seen recently in the movies.

• 1 decade ago

I saw her in "Hard Candy" and thought that she was one of the most irritating actresses I had ever seen. I feared that she would be offered another lead role, something quirky, and, just as I feared, deemed Oscar-worthy. She is certainly not Oscar material but is exactly the sort of offbeat person they would pick. To me, she's channeling Liza Minnelli in her early films, even down to the chopped-off hair. Only, Liza was a true actress, not this "If I talk wryly and smirk a lot, they'll think I'm quirky and cute."

We're going to be stuck with her dreadful delivery for some time to come I fear.

The clips of "Juno" I've seen have me groaning every time. They show more scenes, and I suffer even more.

I support your dislike of this girl. Maybe she'll get over the one-note delivery someday. It's more likely that she will rely on it for films to come. *SIGH*

NOTE: The poster below might not have seen her in "Hard Candy". This is the girl, not a character. She has the same nasal, wry delivery and the exact expressions and body language in the first film as in the second, at least that's what it seems to me from the clips I'm seeing of "Juno". That's Page, not the character, and she's irritating and unlikable with affectations that I hope will sink her career soon.

• Bean
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

My boyfriend said that her character reminded him of what I must have been like in highschool, and I kind of agree with him. Everyone is different, and that's cool.

• 1 decade ago

i liked her, she was acting like a wise guy tom boy, but at times i was like "oh shut the f up!"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.