Fragrance Sales Associate?

Does anyone here work at a department store selling cologne or perfume? I want to and I was just wondering what your job exactly was? I know there's working the cash register...what else?

Best Answer

You should have an overall knowledge base of perfumes, colognes, fragrance notes and what to recommend to whom but most department stores send you to "school" for that. An ability to deal with diverse customers in a diplomatic way (this includes very nice people to extremely rude, intolerable people......especially around the busy holidays), and an ability to sell as you will be rated on your productivity. You may be required to take inventory, fill out order forms to restock, and set up attractive displays. It is also important to dress tastefully attractive and to look "approachable". The fragrance/cosmetic field is a fun job to pursue but unless you are an over-the-top seller, don't expect to make much money. You will, however, make some great long-time friends. I know I did!

As long as that is their standard practice, ie all the others went through that too.