Why do many English people not like Americans?

Favorite Answer

That, sir, is factually incorrect. Many English like Americans, I take it you are just hearing about the vocal minority?

Have you met americans when their on vacation in other countries??? Their actions, attitudes and such usually make them standout for not the right reasons.

No I'm not anti american, I have american relatives and been to the states lots of times. But living in europe for few years and seeing different tourists in different locales was an eye opener. Sorry guys but americans, especially in a group were some of the most boisterous and obnoxious of tourists (british football fans are separate grouping on their own).

If something is different and not to the american liking they are quite noisy about how it's done in america (like pubs closing at 10, not open all day etc). In parts of spain and italy the restaurants even close in the afternoon and many americans complained, but this is the way there. So there is the culture shock that americans were the slowest to accomodate. It is the problem of going somewhere different and the idea that they should do everything to accomodate you rather than you experience things the way they are. It has earned americans a bad rep for the most part.

Sorry guys but this observation comes from experience of having seen this, not what I've been told. NOt everyone is like that and many of you do try to get along with the locals, but some of you, WOW.

• googie

Perhaps some English people think they are better than the Americans of various ethnic backgrounds. Those whose ancestors came here early had no problem with the language since most spoke English. They were in the higher echelons of society, business and social, In Great Britain, much of the animosity stems from the WWll parade of American service personnel many of who acted in a rowdy manner, fooled around with their women, and spent money like drunken sailors. Many may be envious of the American lifestyle. Several English professionals came to the US in the late 60s and 70s and became employed in industries within our area and some joined the country club. None showed any superiority complexes and we have melded perfectly.

I live in central Europe and everybody there thinks Americans are arrogant. I personally believe Americans are either arrogant or naive. Also capitalistic, have really lame education situation a big obesity problem. You carry guns???!!!! That's crazy in a negative way. You generally only speak one language. You exaggerate a whole lot. You prefer popularity of ideas as opposed to logic and sense. You hate hippies? How can you do that? They are definitely more useful than politicians! You provide/provided like 30% of WORLD pollution. You argue too much. Your music is mostly about sex. Rap music is worse and worse! Your food is unhealthy. You put more money into firearms production than into education (oh I mentioned education before). You too often can't point America on a map!!! ....

I would respect any American who doesn't fit these stereotypes!

• John R

The premise of the question is that many English people don't like Americans. That turns the question into an opinion and violates Community Guidelines. May I suggest rephrasing your question, "Do English people like Americans?"

I think that is a generalisation.

For one thing, it is perfectly possible to like and admire individual Americans yet still have profound objections to some of the things being done by America the nation.

I like America. That is to say, I like the idea of America, the concept. I find the writings of the founding fathers, some of the intellectual giants of their age, truly inspirational. But then I look at the Bush administration and despair. Surely Jefferson is turning in his grave!

• Bingo

First I'd like to say I am American and just like any other country your own country doesn't always act or present themselves in the way you would totally agree with, so please don't don't blame or dislike everyone from one country or another we are all individual. I have no hard feeling toward any countries people but I might not agree with some of the things their countries government may do or say.

Love thy neighbour no matter how far apart you may be.

Well, you see at one time the United States was controlled by the great britain. When are forefathers sent them packing it left a bad taste in there mouth. I know I was married to a Welsh woman once. There history says something to the point the U.S.A was not worth the trouble and gave it over to the colonists.

Source(s): My Ex-wife and her father was a school teacher

Because the media worldwide displays Americans as the people that consume everything. Because they are the most dominating nation, they use an enormous amount of resources and consume on a level that is unnecessary. It's true of most developed nations, but the American government draws more attention to itself through its political actions.

I'm ready to move to England! I'm tired of living in the US. I'm sick of the political garbage and I'm sick of being told I'm free when I'm not. I try to live my life in a good way, helping other's and bettering myself. I try not to judge, but when I take a look around at our Country, it seem's like no one care's anymore. People say "I love my country", but don't to a darn thing to help it progress. We don't have to be like this anymore, but we will never come together as a country. It's pathetic.

I hate living in a country where I would usually support our troop's, but the troop's we have are comprized of 18 year old boy's and girl's who's family couldn't afford their schooling, so in turn signed what they tought was a ticket to good education, and winded up dead. The one's who went into battle because of their love of this country, are not being done justice.

We are the state's. There is no united about about. The depictions of our country to other's is the price we pay for our lifestyle. They have a right to make judgement. What have we done to better the world? Nothing recently.

I'm sick of it. I want to live where I can make a diffrence. That's not here.

So this is why I feel English people hold a stigma over Americans.

We can become a wonderful country, but we ALL have to try!

Because Americans are rude, loud, uncivilized barbarians who only broke away from Britain so they could be free to commit genocide against native Americans and practice the most cruel forms of slavery known to the world at that time. I know this because I'm an American, and British people who are nice to us are only being polite.