I E-Filed my 2007 tax Return Only to find out later that I made a mistake on some areas?

For the first time I did my own taxes this year. I filled out everything and asnwered all the questions, e-filed it and realized that there is a mistake. When asked about the refund I got last year I put the total and put APPLIED for Last Year's tax payment.

Which is wrong, I did not owe the IRS. So now, my tax refund is too big for what I expected and I want to correct it but how can I do that since I already e-filed it. Will the IRS send me a note or would I end up owing? how long till they see the mistake and inform me?

Favorite Answer

If you indicated that your refund for 2006 was rolled over to 2007, don't worry about it. As stated above, the IRS automatically rejects any credit elect or estimated tax payment before issuing a refund. You'll feel dumb when the letter shows up, but it's no biggie.

Do go back to the return and verify that the amount withheld *this* year is enough to pay the tax bill. If yes, your refund is smaller. If no, be ready to write a check before 4/15.

No no no, even if you e-filed you can still file a correction. Do it ASAP. Because they won't just send you a "note" you'd end up maybe getting audited, or owing them a lot more money by the time they are aware of your mistake and demand payment. Don't just wait for it to happen. Just correct it. The only people who might send a letter would be if you used a program like Turbo Tax or something, which may send an email.

You should get an email within the next 12-24 hours saying that some part of the tax return is incorrect. They will direct you to the part that is incorrect and you can make the changes. With e-filing it is in essence like putting a letter in the mail. It will be kicked back or returned if there are errors and then be resumitted to the IRS.

• they will see it right away , they always recheck the returns ,then they will send you a letter saying you made a mistake, if you still get a refund they will send it , if you owe they will send you a letter saying they kept your money!!

Source(s): past experience

yes they should cause last year someone claimed my doughter and I got a leater to contact thim to fix the problem