Can't get CA/DMV picture ID without IL birthcertificate - can't get birthcertificate without CA picture ID ?

I lost my IL driver license many years ago. Now in CA many years. I need DMV picture ID in order to obtain desperately needed medical help. I do have my social security card but DMV says I also have to have certified copy of my birthcertificate from IL. IL won't give it to me without a CA/DMV picture ID. Where can I get help?

• wizjp
    Favorite Answer

get one from IL:

Birth Records

How do I get a birth certificate?

A person 18 or older, a parent shown on the record, or a guardian/legal representative of the child (written evidence of guardianship or legal representation required) can obtain his/her birth record or the birth record of his/her child or ward from the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), Division of Vital Records or from the county clerk in the county where the birth occurred. (List of county vital records Web sites or county clerk addresses) Birth certificates filed prior to 1916 must be obtained from the county clerk's office.

You can order a certified copy of the birth certificate for $15 for the first copy and $2 for each additional copy of the same record requested at the same time; a certification for $10 for the first copy and $2 for each additional copy of the same record requested at the same time; or a commemorative birth certificate for $40 for the first copy and $5 for each additional copy of the same record requested at the same time.

Records can be ordered online, by mail, by fax or in person.

Please note: Current processing time on mailed requests for CERTIFIED COPIES ONLY is approximately six weeks from the date the request is received.

Who is entitled to receive a birth certificate?

Birth records are not public records and only the following are eligible to receive certified copies:

The person named on the record if 18 years or older;

The parent(s) shown on the record; or

A legal guardian or legal representative of the child. Written evidence of guardianship or legal representation is required.

Genealogical researchers not otherwise entitled to a birth certificate may request one for a person whose date of birth is 75 years or more prior to the current date. Birth certificates filed before 1916 must be obtained from the county clerk. (List of county vital records Web sites or county clerk addresses) The birth record of any deceased individual may be obtained by completing a special application form and showing proof of death. You may request this special application form at vitalrecords@idph.state.il.us or by writing to:

Illinois Department of Public Health

Division of Vital Records

605 W. Jefferson St.

Springfield, IL 62702-5097

I have custody of a child. Can I get copies of the birth records? Is there a difference between guardianship and custody?

Custody broadly means the physical care of a child or adult. Unless you are the child's parent or have some other legal authority to represent the child, you would not be entitled to the birth certificate. Guardianship is an appointment made by a court and would entitle you to a copy of the birth certificate.

How much will a birth certificate cost?

A certified copy of the birth certificate costs $15 for the first copy and $2 for each additional copy of the same record requested at the same time.

A certification costs $10 for the first copy and $2 for each additional copy of the same record requested at the same time.

A commemorative birth certificate costs $40 for the first copy and $5 for each additional copy of the same record requested at the same time.

Can I pay with a credit card and is there an additional fee?

Yes, you can use a credit card. There is an additional $8.50 handling charge for credit card transactions only. Requests being sent via overnight mail will be assessed a $16.00 UPS fee in the United States only -- for out of country requests an additional fee will be assessed. Records can be ordered online and by fax.

Is the fee waived for military personnel or for any other reason?

There is no fee waiver specifically for military personnel. Illinois law only permits a fee waiver for certified copies of records needed for veteran benefits. The request for these copies must be submitted by the United States Veterans Administration or by any accredited veterans organization to be used in determining the eligibility of any person to participate in benefits available from such organization, or proof of their need must be submitted with your application.

Are there different types of birth records or certificates?

Yes, the following three types of birth records are available:

A certified copy or "long form," the most readily recognizable birth record, is an exact copy of your birth certificate as prepared by the hospital.

A certification or "short form" is a computer abstract (summary) of your birth information in an 8 " X 7" size. The certification may include parent information depending on your year of birth.

A commemorative birth certificate is a beautiful 9" wide x 20" long document signed by the governor and state registrar and intended as a keepsake to mark the beginning of a new life.

Can I get the birth certificate online?

Yes. Click here for more information about online ordering.

How can I expedite the processing of the birth certificate request?

If you need fast service, you can order online or by fax. There is an extra charge for using a credit card and for UPS next day return delivery.

What should I do if I can't download a form?

The forms in this Web site are in PDF format. To view PDF documents, you need a copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader Software. If after downloading the Adobe Acrobat Reader Software you continue to have problems downloading the form and you do not want to order online, you can request the record by writing to:

Illinois Department of Public Health

Division of Vital Records

605 W. Jefferson St.

Springfield, IL 62702-5097

The letter must include the following information:

The child's full name at birth;

Date of birth;

City and county where the birth occurred (including hospital, if known);

The name of the parent(s) shown on the record, including the mother's maiden name;

An indication of whether you are requesting a certified copy, certification or commemorative birth certificate;

A money order or check made the "Illinois Department of Public Health" for the appropriate fee for the records requested (If you want to pay by credit card, please include your credit card number and expiration date; and a daytime phone number, including area code, should it be necessary to contact you about the request);

Your return address; and

Your written signature.

Can you fax or e-mail me a copy of the birth certificate?

No, a fax or e-mail record is not valid. Birth records can only be picked up in person or sent to you by regular mail or by UPS next day return delivery (separate charges apply). An adult signature is required for UPS deliveries. We can UPS packages to your place of work. UPS deliveries cannot be made to post office boxes.

How do I get a birth certificate with an apostille?

You can get the birth certificate from the Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records or from the county clerk in the county where the birth occurred (list of county vital records Web sites or county clerk addresses); however, the Illinois Secretary of State, Index Department issues the apostille. An apostille is a specific authenticating certificate required by certain countries to verify the legitimacy of a document. The birth certificate needs to be sent to the Index Department for this authentication. Information on the cost and procedure for obtaining an apostille is available on the Illinois Secretary of State's Web site or by calling 800-252-8980.

As a service to customers, Vital Records staff will forward birth certificates ordered from the Illinois Department of Public Health to the Illinois Secretary of State office to affix the apostille IF you provide the information needed to process the request (see Illinois Secretary of State's Web site) AND include a SEPARATE CHECK MADE PAYABLE TO THE "SECRETARY OF STATE" for the required apostille fee. If you do not send a separate check, only your order for a birth certificate will be processed. You will then have to send the certificate directly to the Illinois Secretary of State office to obtain the apostille.

Why doesn't my birth certificate have a raised state seal on it?

Dmv Picture Id

I don't see how he's going to be able to. But the question is how do you not memorize your SSN in over 23 years? How long have you known this friend? the story just sounds really fishy to me. The police would have his fingerprints on record if he was arrested like he said.